Migration from PAC P3K to P2K

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from PAC P3K to P2K

I have been asked about duplicating some equipment that I helped design and build.
    The prototype (which became a production piece) was designed around the P3K system. The P2K was not available at the time.

The equipment to be 'duplicated' must fit into existing footprint and volume envelop of the original equipment. (The new design was a significant system upgrade, which has proven itself.)

I have reservations wrt P2K:
    It seems more flimsy than the P3K. The modules have a sloppy fit into the bases.
    P2K has some issues with certain devices. P2-xxND3
    I have not had time to research the P2K to my satisfaction.

The STATION 'equipment' must:
    be able to handle 2 analog inputs (0-10V) on 100 positions (200 analog total) [I am currently using 7 x P3-16AD-2]
    be able to take a (2 samples per second) snapshot of the 200 analog inputs and perform simple calculations to determine part status
    be able to maintain a log of ~240 contiguous 'snapshots' on all 100 positions

The MASTER 'equipment' must:
    be a data handler/concentrator/aggregator (whatever you call it)
    retrieve data from a PC-based database (I currently use dataworx P3K)
    handle a barcode reader
    communicate with ~16 slave stations (I am considering Ethernet/IP for this upgrade)
    --Possibly store a significant data dump onto the PC-based database (Dataworx/Bizware has left me wanting.)
    --Possibly handle (1) Z-axis and (1) Y/Z axis motion for loading/unloading a 2x6-bay oven.

I use CMORE 15" for master and 12" for stations

NOTE: I may update this description as I increase my understanding/check notes.
    -For a bit more on the (original) project see my posts here

Summary: I guess what I am after is feedback from members here who have actually commissioned and supported a somewhat large (physical, node count or I/O count), networked P2K system.
    The 10000 foot view: 2 systems with each system containing 1 master and 16 stations. Each master handling data (and possibly motion control) for one system. Each station contains ~200 analog inputs, 100+ digital outputs
    It is possible that I could mix P2K and P3K components where it makes sense - however a smaller BOM would also be nice.

k
    Last edited by kewakl; 07-16-2017, 10:26 AM.

Disappointed to hear that the 2000 may not be the upgrade answer
    I had the same problem with remote I/O dropping out in 3 of 5 different remote locations in P3000 systems
    I thought that I would go to P2000 CPU no remote adapters only since they are only $50 more.
    If I had a problem with com I could at least do something intelligent with each CPU but have not used P2000

Comment

Originally posted by OldControl View Post
      Disappointed to hear that the 2000 may not be the upgrade answer
      I had the same problem with remote I/O dropping out in 3 of 5 different remote locations in P3000 systems
      I thought that I would go to P2000 CPU no remote adapters only since they are only $50 more.
      If I had a problem with com I could at least do something intelligent with each CPU but have not used P2000
      Hey, welcome to this forum and THANKS for your input.

I don't KNOW that a P2k is not a path, just putting out feelers to gauge the medium complexity installs that have been commissioned - and the overall satisfaction on the implementer/integrator/supporter side of it.

EDIT: wording (swap out 'median' for medium)
      Last edited by kewakl; 07-18-2017, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Not a lot of I/O in my applications, but with one, I am controlling 14 heated zones with PID on each and the speed of a pump motor via the RS485 port to a GS3 drive. Due to a grounding issue, had to use a single P2-08THM for each zone. And because of the limited space in the cabinet, I had to use 11 and 7-slot racks with the P2-RS on the 7-slot rack. I am also using a P2-04AD module since I must process a 0-10 volt signal coming from a parent machine to control the speed of the pump motor powered by the GS3. I have a single P2-16TD1P sink output module to power the solid state relays that power the heaters. There is no vibration in my application, BUT the cabinet that houses the PLC gets over 100-degrees F. No issues so far, and it's been in service for over 8-months.
        If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

Thanks, Todd.

What grounding issues? Do you have any post(s) with details?
          I KNOW that I have to get my grounding as close to 'rock-solid' as possible.
          I won't be using THM modules (at this time), but two 7-slot racks full of P2-16AD-2's will be begging for complications.

Comment

I had a post about it, and one mentioned I may have a grounding issue, HERE

So, for the sake of simplicity (and not having to re-visit a temp issue) I went with a module per zone.
            If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

thanks for the link! I will did read.

EDIT: updated read status
              Last edited by kewakl; 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X