need help writing click program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help writing click program

i'm green to writing programs. although it would most likely be a breeze for the experienced. it is a program to be used in a sprinkler and pond system. just motor starters, solenoids, and level switches. the program is simple. writing it correctly is the challenge!

If it's any consolation, as you gain knowledge and experience you'll probably find that you're having the opposite problem: writing the program will become easy, but as the projects you work on become more complex, figuring out what you want the program to do will become harder!

To get started with your initial project, you might want to identify the system's inputs (level switches, manual controls, etc.) and outputs (pump relays, valves, pilot lights, etc.) and how you want each output to behave based on the state of the inputs.

There are always subtleties to consider, even in a "simple" project. For example, you might have a float switch open a water valve to refill a pond when the water gets low. But what happens if the water level is right at the switch's trip point, and the wind is whipping up waves. The valve could end up opening and closing many times per minute. So, you might want to add a time delay, where the float switch must be closed for X seconds before the valve opens.

Or, what happens if the float switch gets stuck? At the very least, you could waste a lot of water, and you might have some major property damage as well. Possible solutions could be a timer limiting the maximum time the valve is open, and/or another float switch, either to detect an overflow or to confirm operation of the first switch. And you'd probably want some kind of alarm to warn of the malfunction.

Also, the valve itself could get stuck. You'd need an overflow sensing switch to detect that. At a minimum, it would sound an alarm. If the potential losses from an overflow were significant, you'd need a backup valve in tandem with the main valve, to shut off the water if the main valve fails to close.

Comment

help with program

thanks for your reply. i know ! that's the wonderful thing of being able to progam a controller. i know exactly what is required, and have installed all the hardware. it really will be quite the system. however, writting the ladder logic is my weak point. the instruction was so brief, and so quick my pea sized brain just doesn't have the experience in understanding the steps so quickly. i know how i want the program to go. that is in a real time sequence, but how to put it in a ladder form is what's getting me. any ideas? i could probably get through this if i had a little tutoring. i'm quick to pick up just slow it getting the proper symbols and direction.

Comment

Dano,

Give the details of what you want the program to do and you will get plenty of help and suggestions from the folks here on the forum.
        Last edited by Philip Potts; 05-31-2013, 10:28 PM.

Comment

For less than $40, you can run through the CLICK video series at Interconnecting Automation over the course of a weekend. Does an excellent job of laying out the basics of how to use a CLICK PLC.

ICA CLICK Course

I did this, and it really flattened out the learning curve. I already had a CLICK PLC with Power Supply in hand. I used a few jumper wires as inputs, and away I went. Within a week I had installed my first simple system and had it up and running. IMO specifying the right hardware, i.e, sensors , switches, relays etc., for a given job and getting the actual field wiring right is the hardest part. It appears you have already done that.
          Last edited by Dean; 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

The on line videos are good at getting the basics down, and if you are totally new, well worth doing, its not rocket science!
            Otherwise, get a bench test set up and write some programs. I made a bench set up with buttons and switches etc, however, had I known how easy it was to
            use a HMI touch screen I wouldn't have bothered.

If you are just beginning buy one of the 3" screens, and learn CMORE, then you can set up all the inputs and outputs you need, and re configure as needed.
            And buy the time you buy all those switches etc may be cheaper!

And as always the forums are a great place if you are in a pinch

Comment

Working...
            X