Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply Sizing With Multiple Motion Control Drivers

Good Day,

I'm currently working on a project that will use (8) 24VDC motion control drivers.

I am trying to figure out how to size the power supply to handle the following total values from the manufactures specs:

Load Current: Rated: 28.15A Max 36.15A
    Inrush Current: 68.1A

My questions would be:
    1. If I size my PS to the MAX 36.15A (40A PS) will the PS handle/manage the 68.1A inrush current without going into protection mode? As I understand it this is from charging up the capacitors in the controller.
    2. Is the 36.15A what I should be sizing my PS to?
    3. Anyone know where I can find a 40A PS with input power of 208V 3Ph? The lowest input voltage I can find for a 40A is 320V. if I must I can run (2) 20A or 24A and split the controllers up but was trying to avoid as I will already be running a separate PS for all the other control components.

Thanks in advance!
    -Swervomotor

If the inrush current in the motion control drivers causes a problem, then you could turn the power on in to them say two or four at a time.

Comment

These can operate in parallel mode to give you 50A. They also supply 110% constant current. Lastly, you could sequentially turn the drives on in groups to avoids over-current issues if needed like RogerR mentioned.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...unt/PSM24-600S

Comment

Working...
      X