Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAC Suite 1.8.2(1) PC Crash - Project seems unrecoverable

Working on PAC programming V1.8.2
    My laptop crashed with a Blue Screen of Death.

I can see the PAC connection and select the cpu but I cannot transfer the program from the PAC.
    It just continues to indicate Transfer progress is 0%. [Ethernet]
    [It has been trying since before I started typing this post (and getting pictures to attach!) STILL 0% for about 35 minutes.]
    Cannot successfully open my latest v1.8 project - or any of the four v1.8 backups.
    The PAC software complains that my array index is OUT of range.
    The Tag Database shows NO VALUES in ANY array ROW and COLUMN entries.
    Usually it shows a ONE (1) or a SIZEVALUE in the dimension for arrays (depending on array dimension size)
    Clicking the [+] beside the arrays will not expand the arrays.
    Importing the tag database (.csv) file does not help.

The program still runs in the PAC!
    I have rebooted the PAC.

Another laptop fails in the same ways as my original laptop.

EDIT: Just contacted tech support for ideas. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kewakl; 10-18-2013, 02:25 PM.

I am having a bit of luck...
    I started a new project. Configured the hardware, imported the TagdB.
    Then I copied the tasks into the new project.
    A few tweaks (IP Address, comm port, LCD names...)

It compiles. Will attempt transferring to a different CPU on Monday.

Comment

Attempted Transfer From PAC over USB connection. Fails.
      After cycling power and disconnecting all other unnecessary cables-still fails.

Changed CPU and installed the recovered logic from last Friday.
      At this point, I do not want to attempt a transfer TO the PAC, in case AD tech support wants to investigate the CPU.
      At least I have a workable recovery.

Comment

Would like to apologize for the current issues you are having with 1.8 of the software. We would like for you to send in your project to tech support from your first post, we would like to verify:

We are currently testing our next release of the software and want to make sure this problem is fixed prior to the release.

We will also investigate your CPU once we get it here at ADC.
        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by P3K_ADC_Eng View Post
          Would like to apologize for the current issues you are having with 1.8 of the software.
          Thanks.
          I think that it might be a perfect storm on my end!
          Windows 7-64 BSOD and that this is a continuation of a sidelined project that started about 2 years ago! I started this project with 1.4.1, moved to 1.7.1 then on to 1.8.1.
          We would like for you to send in your project to tech support from your first post, we would like to verify:
          I sent to the tech several rev levels -- a few samples from each PAC SW version, so that tech support would have the FIRST and LAST rev from each software version -- thinking that any multi-version accumulation of junk might be tracked down.
          I included a text file describing each rev level and a summary of what I saw and did -- including which project rev was active at the BSOD!
          I hope that it helps.
          We are currently testing our next release of the software and want to make sure this problem is fixed prior to the release.
          I would test it if AD had an External Beta Test protocol.

We will also investigate your CPU once we get it here at ADC.
          Will wait for RMA from tech.

Thank you, again.

Comment

Another BSOD - project is OK, this time.

Just had another BSOD.

Win7-64 Pro SP1
            6GB Ram
            500GB HDD

Stop 0x50 win32k.sys

PAC project is NOT corrupt this time. I can Transfer FROM PAC, also.

I am about to reboot and perform some memory testing.

Will update...

EDIT: Windows memory checker reported NO memory errors - using default settings.
            Last edited by kewakl; 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM. Reason: Report results of windows memory checker

Comment

Posted too soon

New tags do NOT update in tasks.
              I added several new tags. Added logic to a task.
              New tags in output-type instructions (column 11) do not update via logic.
              They will, however, update by dataview entries.
              I thought that maybe I these tags were being overwritten by COMMUNICATION from other PACs, so I unplugged all comms except laptop. Still no tag update.
              I looked several times for a misplaced (END) instruction! None.
              I added logic to the TOP of the First task in Run Every Scan group. No luck.
              I thought that maybe tagname (characters used or format) may be an issue, so I attempted to rename the new tags.
              I renamed all BUT the last tag in the list of new tags. The tag database did NOT accept the double-click to edit the last tag's tagname.
              I opened the scope of tags in the tag database. Then the tag database did not accept the double-click on any tag!
              -----------All above actions while online/monitoring-----------
              I did follow this with a firmware update from 1.1.13.17 to 1.1.13.24 (twice) and a 'Remove PAC Project' for good measure.
              No change in the tag update via logic, but currently(OFFLINE/NOT CONNECTED), I can double click /edit tagnames in the tag database.

I saved the project and transferred to a different pac - after deleting ALL LOGIC from existing project.
              Using only PAC configuration and tag database, I added simple logic to update the NEW TAGS. They will not update via logic.
              I added parallel logic using old tags parallel to the new tags - in the same rung.
              The old tags update, the new tags do not.
              I have spoken with tech support. We agree that is LOOKS like tag database corruption - source undetermined. I will wait for developers to make further assessment!
              I have emailed the project to reproduce issue(s) on their bench!

Important project info for those following this saga:
              This project has 200+ analog inputs - measuring voltage and current for 100 part positions.
              Measurements will be stored and *maintained* as quickly as CPU scan time allows - with some available time remaining for cycle.
              I will maintain about 1 or 2 minutes of samples for these analog inputs (sliding window around fault declaration-per part.)
              The tag database exports to a csv file with more than 200,000 entries.
              This is a large database for the PAC and PAC Suite to juggle!
              I have about 40 Integer arrays and 50 Boolean arrays
              Several Integer arrays are large 2D arrays (100 X 500)
              Several Boolean arrays are large 1D arrays (1 X 112)

Comment

I printed the TagDatabase Words, Bools and Strings (with necessary attributes) from the original project.
                I created a new project using the existing hardware configuration.

I manually recreated the TagDatabase entries using info printed earlier.
                I copied the tasks from the original project to the new project.

It compiles.

I dumped the project into a test CPU. The tags that would not update via logic are now updating via logic.

I have RMA'd the original CPU back to AD tech support.

I plan to put program into the machine on Monday.

Comment

We have been able to duplicate both of your issues you have reported.

1.) In our next release 1.9.x.x the issue with the corrupted project is fixed.
                  2.) The issue regarding tags not updating, we found an addition of quotation marks on some of the tag names in the TagDB Export file. We are still investigating a fix for this issue.

If you export and then import the TagDB, this fixes the issue from what we see here on our end. Please try this and let us know the result.
                  If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Thank you for the update.
                    I noticed some around C-000071 -> C-000076. I thought that I typo'd.
                    I will attempt the export/import when I can.

I am still fighting BSODs. I have a couple ideas about the cause (NOT AD Related.) I'll PM my thoughts on this.

Comment

I manually rebuilt my tag database last Friday.
                      I put the replacement CPU in the machine and enabled the rungs that were originally not updating via logic.
                      The logic is now updating those tags.
                      I did not get to verify that the other machine functions worked. Tomorrow?

Comment

Development Continues...

I have tested some more of the original functionality. So far, so good.
                        I have added a bit more logic to the project. The logic still updates new tags.
                        It seems that since rebuilding the tag database, the logic update issues are gone.

I did notice at one time, the tag database would not accept any click to highlight a tag entry.
                        I closed and reopened the tag database. Tag selection by clicking is now restored.

Comment

I have been using an older laptop (XP SP3) since the BSOD's got too frequent.
                          I have NOT had any showstopping events since using this laptop.
                          The other laptop is in the shop getting a full format and Win7 reinstall!

PAC Ver 1.8.2(1)
                          I have a couple repeat issues:
                          1. The tag database sometimes refuses to allow me to select tags by clicking on them. Terminating and restarting the software fixes this.
                          As I enter this post, I cannot select individual tags, but I can expand array tags and select elements in the expanded arrays.

2. Rung rendering fails after COPY/PASTE or CUT(see attached.) Compile will fix the render issue, but it is a bit unnerving when it happens.

EDIT: Tag Database behavior
                          Item 1 above.
                          I can select an individual tag. ONE!
                          I can now select the THIRD tag in the list IF sorted in ascending order by SystemID or TagName.
                          Also, closing and reopening the Tag database window will allow selecting tags as normal.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kewakl; 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM. Reason: TagDatabase behavior

Comment

If you export and then import the TagDB, this fixes the issue from what we see here on our end. Please try this and let us know the result.
                            Sorry, I was rereading this thread and realized that I had not replied to this directly.
                            I did mention that I manually rebuilt my tag database the previous week.
                            I really don't want to fight with that project.
                            I will, though, if you think that it might lead to something helpful!

Comment

PAC 1.9.0(13) release - just in time

PAC software update 1.9.0(13) has been released.
                              Looks like items 8, 10 - 12 are fixes for issues with this project.

8. Run time transfer should not be available when opening a project that had dimension or type changes in array tags, or length change in string tags.
                              10. When opening a project the tag database tags could become corrupted causing tags to be removed from both TagDB and Dataview.
                              11. Newly added tags are not updating in Monitor View.
                              12. Importing the TagDB is adding duplicate quotation marks to the .csv file.

I expect to receive my new laptop tomorrow!
                              I'll install 1.9.0(13) / update FW.
                              The timing couldn't have been better.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X