BRX-06RTD Questions - Application is Sensing Continuity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRX-06RTD Questions - Application is Sensing Continuity

Ok, new to the BRX platform and have not even bought any yet. I am wanting to build a test fixture to test the wiring in a cabinet. I have about 32 different point to monitor. I was going to use just and input card and use DC voltage and monitor inputs. I am in the process of evaluating what will happen puting power on sensitive parts in the cabinet. If a can do it without putting power on the cabinet, again due to sensitive equipment, that would be great. Some wires are common and some can be sensed thru a transformer. My intention is to use a BRX-06RTD and set the configuration to sensing resistance. I will be using the lowest resistance setting. My question is how will the incoming data read if the circuit is open? Would this depend on how the burn out is configured? If the wiring is incorrect it would read as open. If the wiring is correct it should read 0 I would think. Reading thru a transformer or something would read some resisitance value.

Does this sound correct? Is there a better way to do this. Did not want to purchase FC-P3 modules just to connect to an analog card for similar results.

I have never seen this type of testing before with an RTD module, but am curious if it will work.

On page 41 and 42 of the manual, https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta...xuserm/ch8.pdf
    It looks like you can set the burnout to Low, High, or Disabled.
    There is also a burnout and out of range indication for each channel.

Comment

RogerR...I too am curious if it will work. I am open to other suggestions. I really just need to monitor it like an input, but I want no voltage out on the wires. I just figured I could monitor the resistance and if the circuit is open then viola! No connection. If I read anything other than zero it must be reading thru a device.

Comment

Measuring resistance on the wires will still involve putting a small voltage on the wires and the RTD module reading the potential between the two.
        I think the module you mentioned has a excitation current of 210 microamps.

Comment

Working...
        X