Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click PLC suitability for critical process

Hi all:

I've used Clicks for some small, non-critical jobs in the past and am entertaining using them for some slightly more critical tasks, specifically operating municipal sewer pumping stations and providing data to a SCADA system. I know the obvious choice for this is one of the big boys - AB, GE, Schneider, Siemens, etc. but I think I'll be paying 100% for the 1% that I need.

I've already written a full program using only 7% of available space in a Click, and haven't come up against anything I couldn't overcome in ladder.

So, I'd like to get your opinions on using Click PLCs for this task, specifically robustness, continued support and development from Koyo/AD, and ease of training my helper/replacement down the road.

Also, since my current system comprises of about 30 stations communicating via leased 4-wire analog modems, I'd like to look at using VPN cellmodems and bringing all the sites into a VPN concentrator via the internet.

Many thanks, Will

I have been using Yoyo (Automation Direct) hardware for over 30 years and have found them as reliable as AB, GE, Omron and the rest. I was a Plant Engineer for 25 years in manufacturing Plants and used them (AD PLC's) in the plants I managed. We built some of the custom equipment used in the plants. For the past 12 years we have a company that as well as other things does system integration. We work with all of the major brands of PLC hardware. If the customer does not request a brand and we can pick, 95% of the time we use Automation Direct hardware, the new Do More processor and software makes the choice very easy. We have done sewer lift stations and treatment systems with AD hardware with no problems.

JW

Comment

I have been using AD hardware in the water and wastewater industry for 13 years now. Have had great reliability and stability with the CLICK, DL-06, DL-05 and DL-205 (DoMore goes with that too).

Unless there are some sort of certification that is required that the CLICK does not have, it may be applicable.
      Water and Wastewater Telemetry
      Consult.Develop.Solve.

Comment

Thanks JW and Mike. I've settled on using the Click PLC, with a cellular gateway that supports both ethernet and serial, if I decide down the road on a different PLC it should be easy to integrate it into my SCADA system.

-Will

Comment

Best of luck, the CLICK is a nice little controller and fits great for low IO and low power.
          I just wish we could get Ethernet built in for a little bit more (like maybe $75?) Haha
          Consult.Develop.Solve.

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I second the ethernet port vote!!

I'm sure I'll get some internal flack for going with Clicks and not the big guys, but when I can do the same thing for $3K less per site, plus get faster parts delivery from AD, no license dongles, no annual support fees, etc...

I'll happily take the ridicule.

-Will

Comment

If it turns out you need a little more power, the DoMore is a very good product.
              Consult.Develop.Solve.

Comment

Thanks, already downloaded the software and looked it over. Can't think of anything the click is lacking for my application. PID loop control maybe.

Comment

Click PID

I am using Clicks in production machines with a roll your own PID routine running as an interrupt program To my mind it works even better than the Directsoft PID routines as used in all the DL series. Happy to post if you want, but as search on the forum will bring it up.

Comment

Working...
                  X