Converting a DirectSoft program (and HMI) to Do-More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a DirectSoft program (and HMI) to Do-More

I am looking to upgrade a process using a DL205 processor to a DoMore processor. I converted the project using the conversion tool in the DoMore software. It looks like such a mess that I might be better off re-writing the program in DoMore. At least I could probably clean it up better. My question is, would the corresponding C-More HMI project need to be re-done using DoMore addressing. Is there a way to convert the HMI project? Or is it a "do over" also/

Thanks

You could use the DL addresses in Do-more (DLV, DLC, DLX, DLY). But, you probably really want to use native memory so that you don't have data typing issues and have to cast everything to get it to work.

If it were me, I'd just rewrite it and take full advantage of what Do-more has to offer. But that's just me.
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

I agree with Do-more PE.

As someone whose had to convert Allen-Bradley PLC's to Do-more and Productivity, and Panelview's to C-more; the do over was not only necessary, but turned out to be much better. Plus, both Do-more and Productivity have commands that RSLogix500 does not, so it made for much cleaner coding.
      Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Thank you for the responses. Looks like a re-write is in order. At least it is not a huge program and over time, some processes have been changed or eliminated, so cleaning it up will definitely help.

Comment

Another vote for the rewrite, it's what I did. I found the DirectSoft to Do-more import tool useful for guidance, but so much is different between the platforms that it's better to start with a clean slate to leverage the new capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatMarklar View Post
            Another vote for the rewrite, it's what I did. I found the DirectSoft to Do-more import tool useful for guidance, but so much is different between the platforms that it's better to start with a clean slate to leverage the new capabilities.
            Great advice. We called it a migration tool, not a conversion tool, because once you get beyond basic contacts, coils, timers, counters, nicknames, rung comments, the Do-more platform implements functionality at a "higher level" instruction set vs. low level (CISC vs. RISC), BUT the Migration Tool does point you to the "equivalent functionality" of Do-more based on the DirectLOGIC instruction, to help guide you through the migration process. Hence, if you know DL, Do-more Designer's Migration Tool will help you to learn about Do-more based on that knowledge.
            There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Working...
            X