PLC using data from a CSV file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLC using data from a CSV file

i have been tasked with getting data from an ERP progrgam managed by our IT department and displaying it on a ViewMarq display. Our IT department would like there program to save the data in a CSV on the network somewhere and whatever i setup to read that data.

I can think of a few ways that it might work but am open to others.
    I could probably write a script in wonderware and use it to communicate with the ViewMarq
    I might be able to use excel and VBA to pass the data to the PLC.

How would you go about doing it?

If the goal is to simply display on the viewmarq - and you have a PC (where does the CSV reside), just let the PC dump strings on the viewmarq.
    I haven't tried this, but it should be feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
      If the goal is to simply display on the viewmarq - and you have a PC (where does the CSV reside), just let the PC dump strings on the viewmarq.
      I haven't tried this, but it should be feasible.
      I am probably over thinking this but how would the PC continuously update the viewmarq. I know I would need some sort of software layer in there but am not sure what. I have been been meaning to pick up higher level programming langues and it might not be all that bad to write a small program in python or C to parse out a CSV and send out ascii text on a serial port.

Comment

Working...
      X