Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie to AD has analog output question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to AD has analog output question...

Hi All;
    First time posting, I'll try to keep this brief:
    This is my first time programming with AD, and so far it's going really well. Love the data handling methods - very easy to pick up.
    We have a 205 with a d2-260 cpu, and there is one f208da2 analog output card. In the manual it describes the multiplex/pointer method of writing data to the card, but there's an iBox function that seems to make all that unnecessary. The manual makes no mention of any such instruction, so my question is:
    I have configured the ibox to identify the card, the slot, the channels, the data type and the starting V-memory number. I have code written to update the scaled V-memory registers with the desited output level for the two channels we will be using. Is that all I have to do with an iBox analog card configurator? As the data in the registers changes, will the analog card scale its output accordingly, or will I have to activate some other bit or register to make that happen? The installation is a very short time frame, with little opportunity to test the system in advance, so I'd like to be as sure as possible before we wire it in and need it to work.
    Thanks in advance,
    Speakerman.
    "Analog" is still binary, it's just at molecular resolution!

This is for the 05/06 PLC but same thing. Page 10/9-10/11
    http://web1.automationdirect.com/sta...ionsm/ch10.pdf

Comment

speakerman,

Be sure to check firmware revisions on your 260 for compatibility with the Ibox. Working from memory here I think there was a problem with DS5 or DS5.1 and the Ibox. I'm sure it is fixed by DS5.3.
      PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The fine art of whacking the devil out of an electronic device to get it to work again.

Vaughn

Comment

There is an IBOX supplement to the manual for the 205 series. Check the AD website for the download.

http://web3.automationdirect.com/sta...205_ibox_s.pdf

Also an analog supplement

http://web3.automationdirect.com/sta...lg/d2anlg.html

Bob
        Last edited by Bob S BN; 10-30-2008, 06:59 AM.
        Bob

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the help. I have a brand new PLC, and DS5.3, so I'm assured there will be no problem with the firmware.
          In another point, we have eight channels and only need two outputs, so that gives us six spares. I was planning to paste over the values to two extra V-memory locations so if the two main ones become damaged for any reason, an electrician can simply swap over the wires and the machine would be ready to run. Is this a waste of time - in other words, do the cards generally fail utterly - or are there cases where one of the channels becomes damaged somehow without affecting the entire card? I've seen this in a Modicon, where one card channel died, so we moved the data to the register of a spare channel and swapped the wires. In your experience, how robust is the card for surviving a partial failure?
          I'll post the results of the installation once commissioned. Seems simple so far.
          Thanks again,
          speakerman.

Comment

Hey all;
            Well, that was relatively painless. The iBox does in fact do it all, no question. When I ramped the registers, the output cards ramped their voltage accordingly. Very nice! That's one slick and easy to use feature.

I also have to say that with the nifty design of this accumulator ld/out data handling it was a breeze getting the math right for the analog ramp. We have two 100 hp DC drives with Baldor controllers and Fincor motors coupled to a common drive shaft, so there's some complexity to balance the load between the motors and keep a smooth ramp. The features of this PLC are making it really easy to achieve that! It's the fastest I've ever become accustomed to the register handling of a PLC. It was so intuitive!

I'll keep you posted with my newbie journey, so far a very pleasant one...
            Thanks again for the help,
            speakerman.

Comment

Your evaluation of the accumulator-centric methodology of the AD programs as making things easy is somewhat rare for those who begin with the AD system (at least among those who have expressed an opinion). I, myself, find this system very enabling for intricate math operations. I have also used this feature to construct subroutines with parameters passed in and out on the stack.
              thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Hey bcarlton;
                It's strange to me that few people remark on the power and flexibility of the accumulator based data processing. So far I'm using it in a pretty basic way - this is my first time around - but with all the different functions available as boxes within an accumulator cycle, I can see a huge amount of potential.
                The interface was so easy to set up yesterday too, the software pretty much just hooked up itself. The backplane autoconfig aspect is excellent!! I'm used to working with older stuff, so it was a pleasant surprise to see it recognize exactly what cards were installed, where they were, identifying the I/O points for each... man, that made commissionng so easy!
                I was expecting to be about four hours getting the system proofed, but it took less than two from power up to heading out for lunch.
                I'm starting to praise this stuff so much people around me are going to think I've gone funny.
                That's my good rant for the day!
                Talk to you later, bcarlton!
                speakerman.

Comment

Working...
                X