Solo Controller Software - Window Size / Display

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Controller Software - Window Size / Display

Just finished testing my kiln / heat treat oven with a new Solo controller - excellent results.
    Got the software installed and running to setup ramp/soak parameters but found that I can not see the entire parameter window. The lower third is not visible and there are no scroll bars.
    Running a Dell XPS laptop at 1920x1080 resolution so there's lots of room
    Even tried at the recommended resolution in desparation with the same results.
    I can still use the ramp/soak feature but really don't like things when they don't work ...
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Charlie

Try checking your DPI settings for your display. My guess is that you have it set to something other than 100%.

Brian

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Brian. I wish I could say it was that easy. I've confirmed that the DIP size setting is set to the smallest size (i.e., largest display area).
      It's a weird one ... I may have to check with tech support.
      Charlie

Comment

I originally had this issue but changing the screen res worked okay, but I still have to drag the window larger. I can't believe there are no scroll bars, this needs to be fixed.....please!!!

Comment

Uhh.. I just stepped into the same issue. Set your screen to 1024x768 resolution, then re-boot. Restart the Solo Configuration software. You will still have the scroll bar issue. Now re-set your screen resolution to 1920x1080. Now you will be able to see your entire screen.

Unfortunately, you have to do ALL of this each time you want to run the program. Next time you re-boot the computer, and fire up Solo, you will have the same scroll bar issue.

Comment

I'm set on 1920x1080, and _still_ can't see it all.

This is a three-year-old problem; it's disappointing to see that AutomationDirect hasn't yet fixed it.

-------------------
            EDIT: A-ha! Zeke's solution works! Thanks, Zeke!
            Last edited by AspenDan; 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AspenDan View Post
              I'm set on 1920x1080, and _still_ can't see it all.

This is a three-year-old problem; it's disappointing to see that AutomationDirect hasn't yet fixed it.

-------------------
              EDIT: A-ha! Zeke's solution works! Thanks, Zeke!
              +1 VERY ANNOYING. This should be an easy problem to fix. It makes the program almost unusable in the real world. Who is using a display in 1024x768 anymore anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by HCS Plating View Post
                +1 VERY ANNOYING. This should be an easy problem to fix. It makes the program almost unusable in the real world. Who is using a display in 1024x768 anymore anyway?
                The problem is not the resolution, it is the aspect ratio (whoever thought that "wide screen" was a good idea for computer monitors should be drawn and quartered) , well, that and stupid programing, it looks like they check the horizontal width, then assume the aspect ratio is 4:3 and set the window height acordingly. If they are too lazy to make the window resisable they could at least check both the width and height of the display and use the smaller number. Or just arbitralily set the window size to 1024X768 and ignore the screen size, since, as as you say, who would have a smaller screen? (well, actualy I do on my "netbook" 1024 x 600 (drawn and quartered, I say!) but nothing works very well on it so it wouldn't bother me much if Solosoft didn't either).

As you say, it "should" be an easy problem to fix, but the question is; who is "they"; "they" are almost certianly is NOT Automation Direct, the controlers and presumably the software are made by some anonomus third party and private labeld for a number of companies. ADC could ask for changes to be made, but all they can do is ask. Well, sure, ADC could write (or have writen)thier own progran independantly (as it apears OMEGA has done) but why would ADC bother? and even if they did they'd probably screw it up somehow. (The Omega CN7-A.exe "seems" to work with SOLOs but I like it even less that SoloSoft, even considering messing with screen resolution to use SoloSoft)

While I agree that few people use 1024x768 anymore, 1920 1200 might work passibly well, of course one would need better than comodity grade monitor (and it would have to be an external monitor not a laptop), better yet would be 1920 1440, but then one would probably be looking at $1000+ for a monitor (you wouldn't mind carrying a 30lb, 27" monitor out into the plant would you?). If one does have a spare $1080 one could buy a 8" C-More and create their own interface. The C-More does have predefined potential tags for the SOLO registers (one still does tiediously have to enter them into the tag name database, but that is mostly mouse clicking, one doesn't have to lookup addresses).

I have found that under Windows 7, I can switch the screen resolution to 1024x768, launch SoloSoft, and then restore the resolution to 1920x1080 (without any need for rebooting) and then have the SoloSoft screen about the size one might expect, and see all the fields.

Also the scroll bar problem seems like it might be a video driver issue, (or something other than SoloSoft) if I don't go through the resoultion change thing, I do have scroll bars on, a Compaq laptop(XP), a Sony Vaio "all in one" desktop (Win7) and my Asus netbook (XP). I think DELLs are notorius for being incompatible with stuff.

Comment

I just tried your "change resolution, start solosoft, change back" and that actually worked. I tried changing the resolution earlier today while the program was running but it didnt work. Must be as you say when it boots up. For what its worth I run 1600x900 on my Lenovo Thinkpad notebook. I carry this around the plant and work at my desk. It is a larger, heavier notebook but I also use it for solid modeling with Creo (proEngineer) so it is a must to have a powerful graphics driver and having a larger size display with good resolution is a must. Anyway enough babbling. I retract my earlier complaint and thank you for the work-around!

Comment

Working...
                  X