Hidden Door - Automatic Operators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Door - Automatic Operators

Totally new to the whole PLC thing here. I am trying to control two automatic door operators that change the direction of a hallway by moving wall panels 90 degrees. When both panels are closed (open inputs) the hallway is north and south. When both panels are opened (closed inputs) the hallway is east and west. When panel 1 is open (closed input) and panel 2 is closed (open input) the hallway is open from west to south. When panel 1 is closed (open input) and panel 2 is open (closed input) the hallway is open from east to north.

I might be making this more complicated than it is. There is a total of 4 scenarios the doors can be in. I want to have 4 different momentary pushbuttons to correspond with one of each of the scenarios. I wrote a simple ladder logic program that i think will work but it seemed way to easy and wanted to get some advice. I need the outputs to toggle on when the panel needs to open and toggle off when the panel needs to shut.

Is below all i need to accomplish this?? With X being my four pushbuttons and Y being my two door operators????? Just was not real sure on the Set and Reset commands as i found a couple different ways to latch on an output coil. Did not know if two consecutive Reset commands would turn the coil back on...

Also, i have not bought the PLC yet but it looks like the C0-00DR-D with .5amp power supply should run all this no problem.?.?.? Anything else i would need?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorControlPLC.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	122719

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorControlPLC.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	122718

So you want four X inputs that change two Y outputs into four different patterns? This ladder would do that.
    When you have more than one ladder rung that are both changing the same coil at the same time, the last rung wins. Remember, during each scan the PLC steps through your ladder rung by rung, and whatever happens to the Y coils only changes the actual output at the end of the scan. Resetting (or setting) a coil twice wouldn't toggle it.

What are you trying to power with the outputs? Little 24V relays? On many models the Y outputs are transistors, which can blow up if you're not careful with things such as back EMF and overloading. Some models have relays instead of transistors.
    Last edited by mtnshack; 05-14-2019, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Awesome. Yes, the outputs will be powering little motor activation relays. I made sure i bought the PLC with the 6 relay outputs and not transistors.
      I just wanted to verify that what ever X input is pressed it will stay in that state until another X input is pressed.
      I think im really going to like this ladder logic programming!!!

Comment

Is it possible that the doors will interfere with each other when energized/de-energized at the same time?
        thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Hi Rynkell,
          One thing that you may want to add to your program is documentation. This will really aid you when looking at the program years later.
          https://accautomation.ca/series/click-plc/

Regards,
          Garry

Comment

One thought, what is the "hallway: for? people? animals? inanimate objects? in the first two cases (and maybe the third is objects are fragile or valuable) how much force do the door operators apply?
            Safety issues could make things quite a bit more complicated, note that none of Automation Direct's PLCs are safety rated so if installation was safety critical one would need external safety controls ( Though Automation Direct does $ell a variety of $afety $tuff.)

If you are using commercial door operators then there is probably no problem. but if you are building something yourself you should keep liability in mind.

If you are using interposing relays anyway, I think I'd use transistor outputs, but that is up to you. While relays outputs can be more tolerant of certain kind of abuse, that tolerance can "encourage" said abuse. While they may work just fine the first 100,000 times, when they crap out at say, 120,000 operations it is a lot easer to replace a external plugin relay than one inside a PLC. On the other hand, the CLICK line does have inexpensive relay expansion modules that that can be easily replaced if needed, so a transistor CPU and relay module might be my choice

Comment

Working...
            X