Repeating "Pulse" relay output to drive solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeating "Pulse" relay output to drive solenoid

I've been around PLCs from a user and maintenance point (with slight logic modification) for years, but I'm new to programming from scratch. I'm need guidance on the simplest and least overhead way to make a pulsed output (roughly 200msec) to operate a pneumatic solenoid that "pulses" a pneumatic rams to strike multiple bells for a door bell. The output to the solenoid needs to be a one-shot for about 200msec for the air to get to the ram and strike the hammer against the bell.

I have 3 outputs for 3 bell tones. I want to be able to create various sequences of ringing the bells when a button is pushed. The problem is I don't want to create a new timer/timer bit for each instance of striking a bell. Is there a way to create a pulsed output function that will energize Y1, Y2, and/or Y3 for 200msec that I can use repeatedly without creating 100+ timers with 200ms delayed off?

I've used physical one-shot pulse relays for this function before, but I now want to use a PLC to operate the door bells instead of the timer relays and pulse relay.

Thanks in advance for helping with my question.

First, I would suggest NOT using a relay output CLICK. I would use a transistor output driving an external relay. Relays fail with repeat use. If it is external to the CLICK, it will be easily replaceable.
    I would look at a the CLICK DRUM instruction. You configure it like filling out a timing diagram.

Comment

+1

I just finished a project that had 8 stack light assemblies, but at the last minute they wanted this color to flash for this event, etc... I had them change all the outputs from relay (which is my standard) to transistor, for longevity.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I am using a relay Click because I don't have room in the box for external relays and the transistor outputs would not be able to drive the coils. This is used as a doorbell that does not get used very often, so I'm not worried about relay life.

I began experimenting with the drum and it will work well. I can create multiple drums for different patterns of ringing the chimes. Each drum will do the timed pattern. This mostly solves my specific problem with the door bell application.

However, I still have the original general question of how to make a "global" pulse timer output. Is there an eloquent way to create some function or variable that automatically pulses a triggered output (Y1,Y2, etc) for a specified duration without creating a timer for each instance? If my question is ambiguous, please let me know.

Comment

Do you mean something like this? This is a PxK project.
          I'm not sure how a click would handle such a workload.

Comment

Consider using s:4/0 bit to send pulses and some more as in attached file.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Agent280295 View Post
              Consider using s:4/0 bit to send pulses and some more as in attached file.
              That may be useful an AB PLC.

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
                That may be useful an AB PLC.
                You get 10 Internets!

Here's something Click related Click image for larger version

Name:	Click System Relays.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	124360
                Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                X