Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLICK PLC Analog IO Module Setup

Hello all,

I've been working with the CLICK PLC for the past couple of months, and I've been struggling with hooking up an analog IO module. It seems pretty straightforward (just "click" it into place...), but the CLICK software refuses to acknowledge that the module exists. I haven't hot plugged anything, and both the PLC and the module are brand new. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. It might seem like a dumb question but... any help?

The PLC is C0-11DRE-D and the module is C0-4AD2DA-2.

I've already tried:
    1) updating firmware and software
    2) ensuring that there's +24V to both the PLC and the IO module

Thanks.

https://accautomation.ca/create-an-a...ter-for-a-plc/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwSeulaHV6U

Have you looked at the system configuration in the software? Main menu | Setup | System Configuration
    You must select the modules that you have connected. This should be selected to match the physical setup and then download into the PLC.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Regards,
    Garry

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
      Have you looked at the system configuration in the software? Main menu | Setup | System Configuration
      You must select the modules that you have connected. This should be selected to match the physical setup and then download into the PLC.
      Thanks for the reply, Garry.

Yes, I've tried using the system configuration in the software. According to AutomationDirect's tutorial videos, the CLICK should automatically detect the modules that are connected to the PLC and display them in System Config--but mine isn't. Just to be safe, I disconnected from the PLC and selected the analog IO module manually. I reconnected to the PLC, downloaded the project, and got a System Config error when I entered RUN mode. If I try to open the system config when the PLC is connected, the software says there's a discrepancy between the PC and the PLC modules, so I need to pick which one to display. Basically, my problem is that the PLC isn't recognizing that the IO module is attached, so it won't run properly even if the software is configured for an IO module.

Comment

if the module was plugged in with the PLC powered up, it probably has toasted the backplane chip. Regardless it sounds like the card is dead. It should be seen easily by the software unless the software is ancient.
        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

No, I didn't hot plug it. The software is the most recent version, as far as I know. I just downloaded it about a month ago.

The thing that baffles me is that I was having this same problem before, so I finally caved in and contacted the Automation Direct helpdesk directly. They concluded that I had a defective IO module and sent me a new one--but this new one doesn't work, either. I even got a new PLC, thinking that maybe something in my first one was fried, but nope, same deal. I'm really quite perplexed that something that should be so simple is turning out to be so troublesome.

Comment

What do you have as a power supply? Watts/amps & Volts
            If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

It's a DC power supply, capable of at least an Amp, maybe more (I'd have to check the specs), and that should be more than enough. I have it set to 24VDC for powering the PLC and the module.

Edit: Just double-checked, the power supply can do 5V at 3A, so it's a 15W supply.
              Last edited by jeb; 07-24-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

5V =/= 24V

Which is it?

Comment

It's a variable supply, so it can be anything from 0 to about 30VDC. I currently have it set to 24VDC. I know that when it's set to 5V it can deliver up to 3 amps, therefore it's a 15W supply.

Comment

I would start by trying a different supply, preferably a fixed voltage model. Click really wants good power and that is the only thing you have not changed.

Comment

This is my go to power supply <LINK>, 60W at 24VDC and for $29.00 it can't be beat!
                      Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Alright, here's my final update:

I appreciate the suggestions of changing a power supply. Unwilling to hastily pour more money into a project that hasn't been working for months, however, I decided to give Automation Direct technical support another try. They said basically the same thing as last time; sorry it's not working, it should be, we can send you a replacement. So, I packed up the PLC and IO module yet again and shipped them back for a replacement. The replacement just came in today--thanks be to God, it's FINALLY working like it should. The PLC is automatically detecting the IO module.

My theory on what was going wrong: I had inherited a CLICK PLC from a previous year's project, which is how I became familiar with CLICK PLCs. Apparently, the guys had hot plugged in a module and fried it, so they had given up on working with the PLC at all. The old module was gone, but the PLC seemed to still be working fine, so I didn't think much of it. I ordered a new IO module for my own project. After a while of not getting the new module to work, I figured that the PLC had been damaged from last year after all, so it was functional in itself but no longer able to connect to modules. A bit sad, but I ordered a new PLC so I could still use the module I bought. Surprise, surprise, the new PLC wouldn't connect to the new module, either. I called and got a replacement for both of them, and the new set works fine.

Probably what was happening was that the old CLICK fried the new module(s) when first plugged in, so the reason the new ones work is because they have never been plugged into the old PLC. I just didn't realize it because there were no signs of frying happening, like sparks or smoke.

Comment

Glad you got it working!

Hassle free returns are another reason to like Automation Direct.

Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                          X