Looking for example: ASCII Recieve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for example: ASCII Recieve

I particular I have a sure step drive which can use SCL commands. Send is ok but I’m looking for an example of receiving from the drive. I want to be able to read “IP”. Can anyone share an example?

thanks,

Nick

There seem to be some doubt that a Click can switch from send to receive fast enough to receive the data sent by a surestep drive, I'm not saying it positively can't be done, just that there is some doubt. You may notice that the surestep manual refers to Directsoft PLCs being ""write only", yes, the CLICK is not a DS PLC, but still...

I've read that the Do_more has buffered communications and there fore should have no problem, but of course it costs more than a CLICK. On the other hand the "advanced" sure step drive are not so cheap either, using a "dumb" drive with the high speed output on a BRX would reduce the overall price difference.

Comment

That is correct Tinker. Click takes a minimum of one scan to do the switch over from send to receive and vice versa. It can sometimes take multiple scans.

Do-more and Productivity have buffered serial ports so this becomes a non-issue. In addition both PLC's have better string handling abilities for retrieving the data from the ASCII string. Also as Tinker Says, the Do-more BRX has a pretty good motion set built into the platform and can probably do what you need without needing to go the communications route.
      If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Do-more PE && Tinker thanks for your responses. Actually I have been pondering a Productivity 1000 because I want to move to tag based programming. In your view, a productivity PLC would help because of the serial port buffering capability?

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

Buffered serial ports are rarely the wrong way to go.
          If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X