Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLICK Clock Drift

Hello,

What is the drift on the CLICK built in real time clock? Per month, year? A customer mentioned to me that it was 12 seconds per week. I do not believe that is correct but can not find anything on it.

Thanks
    Doug

I dont know what the actual spec for Click is, but the majority of PLCs I have ever used have very bad clock drift so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was 12 seconds in a single week, that actually sounds fairly decent for a PLC to me. This is why whenever something is based on a real time I always use NTP server to sync time on a daily basis at minimum.

Many actual computers that have no internet connection also drift fairly badly. Ive seen some that after a few months when I check in on them the clock is off by a few minutes.
    Last edited by MikeN; 01-08-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

You would think by now we would have fixed issues like this :-P

Comment

From the Click FAQ's: https://support.automationdirect.com...aq.php?id=1319
        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

So, Mike, about 15 seconds a week! Good guess!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
            I dont know what the actual spec for Click is, but the majority of PLCs I have ever used have very bad clock drift so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was 12 seconds in a single week, that actually sounds fairly decent for a PLC to me. This is why whenever something is based on a real time I always use NTP server to sync time on a daily basis at minimum.

Many actual computers that have no internet connection also drift fairly badly. Ive seen some that after a few months when I check in on them the clock is off by a few minutes.
            That sounds like a good idea. Do you have any information on how to do the NPT sync for the Click PLCs?

Comment

Originally posted by ru4eel View Post

That sounds like a good idea. Do you have any information on how to do the NPT sync for the Click PLCs?
              Unfortunately the Click does not have an instruction specifically for network time protocol sync. The only way to do it on a CLick is to have another PLC on your network that does have this capability (Productivity or Do-More) and send the time to the Click over either Modbus or EtherNet/IP. Or, you can get a program for your PC that allows it to act as either a Modbus server or EtherNet/IP scanner and the PLC can use the time from the PC through that software. That would require you have a server computer type setup that is on all the time though.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post

Unfortunately the Click does not have an instruction specifically for network time protocol sync. The only way to do it on a CLick is to have another PLC on your network that does have this capability (Productivity or Do-More) and send the time to the Click over either Modbus or EtherNet/IP.
                That said, CLICK makes it fairly easy to change the time/date remotely. It does have its idiosyncrasies but it works well. I've had to do time sync across multiple CLICK PLC's on an isolated network before. Another option is using a C-MORE HMI to write to the set time and date registers. I can easily see how an NPT server (or intermediate) could make this happen. Now, if only kewakl would finally install that NPT server

Comment

Originally posted by mashva View Post

That said, CLICK makes it fairly easy to change the time/date remotely.
                  Depending on CLICK software version. (version 2.00 and higher - help topic CL194)

Comment

Working...
                  X