Getting click to work with rs232 weighing scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting click to work with rs232 weighing scale

I'm trying to get my click to receive data sent from my commercial scale for a farming application. I'm having a hard time getting the 2 to interface. I'm not sure I'm following the connections right. attached are the 2 pages of the scale manual for the rs232 connection of the scale. I did notice when I tried to set up the receive command in the click that the one of the rj12 wires needs a 5v connection. this scale had some print near the port saying it was 7-10v. I'm not sure if that's contributing to my confusion. any perspective on this is appreciated.
    If there is a better/easier commercial scale to work with I'd love to know about it, I need to be able to measure in grams though.
    Attached Files

I haven't had to use the 5v line ever. That's there for the rather rare Serial powered devices. Just Connect the Rx, Tx, and 0v.

Comment

Originally posted by NevergoldMel View Post
      I haven't had to use the 5v line ever. That's there for the rather rare Serial powered devices. Just Connect the Rx, Tx, and 0v.

[in a david attenborough whisper] like the rare cmore micro

Comment

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=123966

Posted at the above location as well.
        Connect with us on Facebook: facebook.com/accautomation/

Comment

Sometimes the simplest thing is what's wrong.
          • Make sure that you have the Tx of one device connected to the Rx of the other device, and vice versa.
          • Check connection settings (e.g. 8 bits no parity, 9600bps, etc.)
          With those aside, be aware that Click cannot perform send AND receive through its serial port. I tried this several years ago, and it only worked if I was able to time things PERFECTLY (i.e. scan time had to be perfectly matched with the response time of my device), as the Click does not perform send AND receive asynchronously.

I hope you're able to figure it out!

Comment

Working...
          X