X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bfitz
    started a topic BRX ethernet questions

BRX ethernet questions

I have a BRX system that I'm looking at adding a remote I/O of some sort to. The manual was referencing some BRX based remote IO stuff, but I can't find it on the website.

Anyway, I was trying to plan the ethernet networks for doing this sort of thing. It looks like the ethernet remote IO master function is limited to the onboard ethernet port. It does look like I can add a POM ethernet port for modbus slave and programming access. Would this port also support the NETTIME instruction? I'd like to have the remote IO stuff on a completely separate network, and I'd also like to use the NETTIME instruction to keep the PLC time synced with the network. Is this possible?

• BobO
    replied
    Oops...so that one is on us. Bad Host!

Modules supported in a remote slave, when available at an undisclosed time in the future? Everything currently available. In general if it is an X/Y/WX/WY it will be. If we ever get intelligent modules out the door, they will likely be limited to the local base.

You could use a modular CPU with the I/O. If you wrote the code to move data in and out of the same X/Y/WX/WY locations as would be used with the BRX remote slave, the port would be simple.

All unicast. About the only things that Do-more CPUs do that uses broadcast is DMLogger and PEERLINK.

Leave a comment:

• bfitz
    replied
    I had actually thought about splitting that portion of the program to a separate BRX plc, but then I thought remote IO might be cheaper, and I have enough processing power in just the one PLC. Hmmm.....

Leave a comment:

• bfitz
    replied
    I need to type faster....

Leave a comment:

• bfitz
    replied
    Hmm, I'm guessing I won't get a timeframe out of you for that stuff either. It was actually in the help files for the Do-More Designer. Had pretty pictures and everything.

What modules are currently supported? I'd love to standardize on BRX hardware for inventory purposes. Can I use a BRX plc in place of a remote IO master module in the meantime?

Also, what kind of traffic is generated? Unicast? Something that would be contained to the local segment by a standard switch?

I'm guessing I'd probably just try to update the time over modbus, but I'd like to know my options. SNTP will be a better all solution for accuracy, but I don't think I really need it.

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    The BRX I/O master will talk to DL205 or Terminator EBC100s, so that is one possible answer in the near term. Another possibility would be to add additional BRX CPUs and do the comms in code. Performance would still be decent and the code isn't super hard to write.

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    Originally posted by bfitz View Post
    I have a BRX system that I'm looking at adding a remote I/O of some sort to. The manual was referencing some BRX based remote IO stuff, but I can't find it on the website.
    In the pipe, yes, but not released. Shouldn't be in a manual yet. Oops.

Originally posted by bfitz View Post
    Anyway, I was trying to plan the ethernet networks for doing this sort of thing. It looks like the ethernet remote IO master function is limited to the onboard ethernet port. It does look like I can add a POM ethernet port for modbus slave and programming access. Would this port also support the NETTIME instruction? I'd like to have the remote IO stuff on a completely separate network, and I'd also like to use the NETTIME instruction to keep the PLC time synced with the network. Is this possible?
    Sorry, no. The backend POM interface is slave only. About the only way to do what you want would be to have an external device write the time to a Modbus location, and have the PLC set its time when they don't match.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X