Need help with a pay up sucker option lol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a pay up sucker option lol

i need some help... I thought this was going to be a simple one and maybe it is and I have just been over thinking it.
    We have a custom piece of equipment that I want To protect. In ladder i would like to add a program that after 30 days HMI screen comes up and ask them to call and enter code, then after another 30days does the same but requires a different code. If code is entered everything goes back to working if not the only thing they can do is look at the numeric entry screen or we block all the outputs from working. Each code would just extend another 30 days at a time and or have maybe another code entered that clears all the block program should they decide to buy the item. Customer is taking the equipment out of country and we just want to make sure if it ďgets lostĒ it wonít be operable without being paid for either our rental or the equipment. Any ideas to get me in the right direction?

Our company provided for payments on some equipment. In some contracts was a clause informing the customer of just such a lock out procedure. On each month's payment the next 'release code' was provided. On final payment a 'forever' code was provided. Customers who were late were so only once. Our accounting section loved it. The program was locked from access by the software but the access code was also available on full payment. In the last couple of years before I retired this feature was not utilized. The lockout only prevented a start. It didn't shut down in the middle of running.

Note - this was implemented in a DL2xx series CPU
    Last edited by bcarlton; 02-28-2018, 12:07 AM.
    thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

Thatís what Iím looking to do, just trying to figure out what that looks like in ladder

Comment

Considerations are whether to generate the current month's code mathematically in the PLC or to use a preloaded table. I used the second type and generated the codes using Excel based on the machine serial number, the year and the month. I had to hand enter the codes into the ladder but we aren't a high volume shop. I provided two entries on the HMI to allow for easy rollover from one month to the next. It took a while to experiment. Sorry I can't provide our code.
        thePLCguy

Bernie

Comment

No that helps I was trying to figure out how to do mathematically but maybe a list of preloaded codes and calculation off current date and just put a c-bit in line with the first scan rungs that load the startup programs that would prevent start up if codes werenít correct for that time frame and just somehow increment to the next memeory address for code value based on that current days Passed.

Comment

I was thinking something along the lines of a LFSR, but that may be serious overkill.

Comment

I've done this several ways (not monthly subscription model, just a drop dead date to make sure we got the final retention payment once they physically had the equipment).

As a kind of warning shot, I've locked out auto mode operation, but they could still manually operate.

To really put them down, I enabled a calc that would fault the PLC. Like Bernie, it would typically only prevent a new start (so in the case of the faulted PLC, for example, don't do it until the machine is shut down).

Comment

Itís basically only monitoring and data logging system heading, pitch ,roll ,on equipment

Comment

UPDATE:

I was really Stuck on this one.
                  Years back I had taken a few classes with Doug Bell, so I decided to reach out to Doug at Interconnecting Automation.
                  Doug hooked me up with his Son Nick. Nick fixed this up in only a few rungs of code.

HUGE THANK YOU to Nick for a fast and simple solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X