Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do-More Simulation Rack

Hey Guys
    I want to build me a rack with a Do-More PLC on it and a VFD a C-More Touch Screen and all that good stuff and also sensors of all kinds... I am building it to train myself and to try all kinds of stuff.... My question is would any of you have any ideas on what i could use to built something to simulate a PID loop..... Help

I've seen some people use a light bulb (incandescent) in a small box with a temp probe on top of the box and small PC fan blowing through holes in the side of the box. You can keep the fan on and control the bulb for a heating application or reverse (bulb on, control fan) in cooling applications.

Also, you could use a small water tank where you pump water in that drains through an adjustable size hole. Variable pump speed (small DC pump). Water level would be taken from an ultrasonic sensor or analog float.
    Last edited by Adisharr; 04-13-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

The simulator that is built into Do-more Designer has a PID simulation feature.
      If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by Do-more PE View Post
        The simulator that is built into Do-more Designer has a PID simulation feature.
        And to help with that, there is an example project called PID1.dmd in the Projects\Examples folder. The Start Page for that specific project file provides all the details as to what the project does, its I/O map, how to simulate the "Process" that you are trying to control (the process it's emulating a fast responsive oven), what to try, etc.
        There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Ya i know that Do-More Designer comes with a PID simulator but I want to do it in real life.... When i use the Built in simulate and the PID1.dmd file what controls the PV value cant figure that out... Or does the simulator recognize it and it controls the PV value own its own...
          Thanks

Comment

We've done the light bulb with temp sensor thing. We've also taken a pair of PC muffin fans, one driving, and one acting as generator. They both worked pretty well. The wattage of the bulb and size of container allow you to specify the speed of the 'process'. The muffin fans were just attached directly to each other, but they would probably work even better on a box, just make sure all of the seams are well sealed.

The Do-more process sim is good to learn with, but it's also cool to see actual physical processes work. I thought it was fun to play with. Nerds...

Comment

BobO could you explain a little better on how i can built that Bulb with temperature sensor thing....

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AUTOMATION92 View Post
                BobO could you explain a little better on how i can built that Bulb with temperature sensor thing....

Thanks
                We essentially taped a thermocouple to a low wattage light bulb. Kinda sloppy...fast process and subject to air movement around it. To get better results, just mount an incandescent light bulb in a small box and put a thermcouple or RTD or whatever temp sensor in the box as far away from the bulb as possible....instant oven simulator. Cut a flap in the box that you can open to bump the process. Amaze and impress your friends.

And don't burn down your lab.

If you drive the bulb with a solid state relay, you can use the TIMEPROP instruction to drive the output, which will provide a very smooth 0-100% output control. One of the guys here at Host built a powder coat oven this way. Maintained the temp within a degree or two at the temps required for powder coating.

Comment

So will the solid state relay actually dim the incandescent bulb or do I have to add something else to dim it....
                  Thanks

Comment

Here is a temperature application trainer that I use in some classes. There is a cartridge heater drilled into the block.
                    Attached Files
                    ADEN ENGINEERING
                    Automation & Electronic Controls

Design, Build, Repair, Training

Comment

So will the solid state relay actually dim the incandescent bulb or do I have to add something else to dim it....
                      Thanks
                      That's what the TIMEPROP (Time Proportioning) instruction does. It's a fancy dimmer.

Comment

So can I use any 120 VAC solid state Relay For that application?????

Comment

So can I use any 120 VAC solid state Relay For that application?????
                          Any? Ummm...that's kinda open ended. As long as the relay's input specs work with the PLC's output, and the relay's output spec works with whatever bulb you choose, then sure.

For the record...I'm not an applications guy. I'm an automation product developer, I don't actually use them. Feel free to ignore any advice I offer.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys...

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
                              And don't burn down your lab.
                              Daaaaaad! You never let us have ANY fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X