DoMore MQTT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoMore MQTT

Hi guys. Is there any plans to add MQTT commands to DoMore (H2-DM1E not BRX)?

Not at this time.
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

There is no problem with H2 and T1H being able to support it, but due to space contraints in the firmware storage, it would take the equivalent of 'reformatting the hard drive' to make space. Doing so would be more complex than you might think since it involves replacing/moving the very code that needs to be at a particular place to run at all, all the while not bricking your unit or screwing up your program. We may take the plunge in the future.

Which is an unnecessarily long way of saying "Not at this time".

Comment

I wasnt sure what MQTT was so I had to look it up just now. Is the protocol exclusively for communication with IoT devices?

Perhaps you could create a new module with all the code required for MQTT protocol and either an ethernet port or maybe even built in wifi all on the module. The module would be the server/broker and handle all the sending and receiving of information to the clients within the module itself. Sell it as an add-on for IoT integration and then all the code changes needed could be kept entirely within its own module with data that is just read from the main CPU for bringing sensor data into ladder logic. It might be easier than redoing the entire code of the main PLC
        Last edited by MikeN; 09-12-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
          I wasnt sure what MQTT was so I had to look it up just now. Is the protocol exclusively for communication with IoT devices?

Perhaps you could create a new module with all the code required for MQTT protocol and either an ethernet port or maybe even built in wifi all on the module. The module would be the server/broker and handle all the sending and receiving of information to the clients within the module itself. Sell it as an add-on for IoT integration and then all the code changes needed could be kept entirely within its own module with data that is just read from the main CPU for bringing sensor data into ladder logic. It might be easier than redoing the entire code of the main PLC
          MQTT is the most fundamental protocol upon which IoT is built.

It's already in BRX. The question was whether it would be added to H2.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post

MQTT is the most fundamental protocol upon which IoT is built.

It's already in BRX. The question was whether it would be added to H2.
            MikeN wrote: "Perhaps you could create a new module with all the code required for MQTT protocol"

Wouldn't that be about the same as putting a BRX in the same cabinet with the H2 and let it mediate between IOT and the H2? Sure, it would require buying more hardware, but since Host is in the business of selling hardware that would be a good thing, right?
            I imagine the O.P. saw MQTT was added to the BRX and is wondering if he can get it for free on his H2.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker View Post
              I imagine the O.P. saw MQTT was added to the BRX and is wondering if he can get it for free on his H2.
              Nothing wrong with that at all. It would already be in there if we weren't facing the issue I described. Of course we won't be offended in the slightest if y'all decide to use a BX-DM1E-10 or -M as an MQTT 'module'.

We do have ideas for doing something considerably further up the food chain and it would likely be offered as a module, but at this point it's just a concept.

Comment

Is string the only data type allowed and if so, will others be added?

Comment

Originally posted by jrbrew View Post
                  If it's simple numeric, after your MQTTSUB On Success bit comes on, drive a STR2INT or STR2REAL differential contact with that On Success bit.

If it's a JSON record with a hodge podge of data - there's something in the works...
                  There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by jrbrew View Post
                    Yes and yes. There are provisions to expand the data types. Since MQTT payloads are wide open, we really weren't sure what people would want and we wanted to put it out and get feedback. It is very likely that we will add simple numerics soon. And as Franj alluded, we're adding some JSON capability, although JSON is coming as new instructions.

Comment

OK. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X