Controlling stepper motor with a BRX PLC – BX-DM1E-10ED13-D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling stepper motor with a BRX PLC – BX-DM1E-10ED13-D

I followed the example on Page 41-48 in Chapter 12 of BRX user manual to configure and test a high speed pulse output with a trapezoid profile but I can’t get my stepper motor running.

Hardware:

BX-DM1E-10ED13-D

STP-DRV-6575

STP-MTR-17040D

STP-PWR-3204

STP-EXT-020

Wiring:

Connect Y0 to STEP-

Connect Y1 to DIR-

Connect Y1C to -5VDC logic supply voltage of the stepper power supply

Connect the +5VDC logic supply voltage to the STEP+ and DIR+ terminals of the drive

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	120695

Ladder code:

Just two rungs

On rung 1 – C0 + AXCONFIG instruction

On rung 2 - C3 + AXPOSTRAP instruction

Name:	two rungs.png
Views:	111
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	120696

Name:	after triggering C0 and C3.png
Views:	110
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	120697

Note: the self test mode on the drive turns the motor twice in one direction and then twice in other direction so I think the stepper motor is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

-QX

• Mistyv
    replied
    Thanks guys for your help! The Y0 output was faulty. I have gotten a replacement for the same MPU module and it's working fine now.

Leave a comment:

• Mistyv
    replied
    Mike, Although I knew that's not the case but I did swap STEP- and DIR- as you suggested in Post #21. No luck.

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    Outputs are fine at 5v, inputs need 12-24v.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Nash
    replied
    How 'bout that? I often have trouble finding some of the specs of many products because they don't all seem to be in one place. Pick your manufacturer. I did spend some time checking the specs but did not happen across the diagram. I don't think I even looked at Chapter 12. Must be why we are always told to read and understand the manual before using the product.

I do have one more thought, but I don't mean to imply anything by it. I would swap Step- and Direction- with each other and try Step/Direction one more time. I can't trace your wires since the pix are cropped, but swapped wires is a really easy thing to miss, especially when all three are white.

Leave a comment:

• MikeN
    replied
    Weird. Guess its time to update the webpage with accurate info?

Name:	powerOutput.png
Views:	68
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	120729

Leave a comment:

• Mistyv
    replied
    This is the wiring diagram from the manual for a BRX MPU using a surestep. It clearly states that 5 VDC should work fine

Name:	wiring dia.png
Views:	68
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	120727

Leave a comment:

• Mike Nash
    replied
    MikeN, The BRX does say it can work from 5-36 operating voltage range, 12-24VDC nominal. I don't know if I have tried it yet, though I reckon I ought to (but my test unit is sourcing.)

The meter would tell you if you had a frequency output if the duty cycle was 50%, yielding maybe 2.5VDC as opposed to 0-ish or 5-ish if not. Definitely not my first choice for frequency though.

Leave a comment:

• MikeN
    replied
    The BRX web page says it can do 12-24v output, so 5v wont work.

I got scared for a second when Mike Nash suggested 24v to the stepper. I am used to the advanced microstepping drives and anything more than 5v will fry the inputs. Looked up the specs on these models and it seems they do support 5-24v inputs.
    Make sure you have +24v on the +step and +dir inputs on the stepper, and then -24v on the 1C on the BRX for the output common. Then the y0 goes to -step and t1 goes to -dir. You dont want anything wired to the 5v stuff from the stepper PSU for this.

I do wonder if maybe there is a jumper somewhere to select whether you are using 5v, 12v, or 24v inputs?

As for why your cant see the voltage change on the BRX outputs, you wont when using a multimeter. They are simply not fast enough and only show you an average of the voltage. You would have to hook the output up to an oscilloscope to see the pulses going by. I believe Do-more software has a view where you can see the pulses in the same format as an oscilloscope in the software itself to verify waveforms.
    Last edited by MikeN; 02-18-2019, 11:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Nash
    replied
    Yeah, that seems odd. Please let us know how all this turns out for you.

Leave a comment:

• Mistyv
    replied
    This morning I switched the Jumper S3 from 1-2 position (STEP/DIR) to 1-3 position (CW/CCW) and reconfigured the Axis 1 Pulse output to: @Axis1 - Axis with CW/CCW pulse out - CW: Y0, CCW: Y1. With CW/CCW inputs, it makes the motor turn. Yeah, that's a good thing. However, still puzzled as to why this drive doesn't understand STEP/DIR signals?

Now I am thinking about sending the drive (STP-DRV-6575) back for a replacement....

Leave a comment:

• Mike Nash
    replied
    Just FYI, I just 'scoped Y0 on a BX-DM1E-36ED23 set for step/direction. The pulse width for the step output is 50% duty cycle of the output frequency, so any filter setting should have been fine at low speeds. I hope you get this sorted this morning.

Mine is a sourcing output and I don't have that series stepper drive here. I have been running a step/direction servo from this BRX recently.

Leave a comment:

• Mistyv
    replied
    I just tried using the 24VDC instead of 5VDC as you suggested and still unable to get the drive to run the motor. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Mike Nash
    replied
    You're welcome. One last thought if you want to try it today - use the 24VDC powering the PLC for the power for the Step/Direction and PLC outputs. Just remove the 5V wires at the power supply and connect to the ZipLink board with the 24V power leads. Maybe we are just too far down at 5V. The PLC says it can operate there, but I don't know that for sure. The stepper drive inputs are OK at 24V.

Leave a comment:

• Mistyv
    replied
    Nice. Thank you Mike!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X