Errors on upload of new program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors on upload of new program

Last Friday, I had to update the programs of (20) BRX PLC's. They are all running an identical program, and vary only in the PLCs' IP addresses. This works perfectly.

As I was loading the updated program into each PLC (via Ethernet), I got the error shown in the attached screenshot on 4 or 5 of the PLC's. Pressing the "Open I/O System View" button never showed anything.

My solution was to hit ENTER in the ladder, so as to force the code to need to be recompiled, and re-upload it to the PLC. That fixed the error every time, and everything is running well now.

My question is, what happened?

Do-More 2.5.2

I believe the OS in the PLC is v.2.5.2, and the bootloader is v.1.10, but I would have to check to be sure next time I'm on site.

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke
    Attached Files

Forgot to add, the PLC's p/n is: BX-DM1E-18ED13-D

Comment

When you click on the I/O System View(s), what are some of the error(s)? I'm gonna guess they are configured analog channels that are not wired, but we need to see the actual errors from each slot's I/O System View report.
      There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by franji1 View Post
        When you click on the I/O System View(s), what are some of the error(s)? I'm gonna guess they are configured analog channels that are not wired, but we need to see the actual errors from each slot's I/O System View report.
        When I clicked on "I/O System View" i didn't see any errors. That's the strange thing.

As for analog channels, they're not connected, configured, or being used anywhere in the program. I'm only using the brick's baked-in I/O, no expansion modules.

I may have to do some additional updates next week. If the error comes up again, I'll get more screen caps. Why would this only happen sometimes, on identical hardware, with identical programs?

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke

Comment

What version of Designer do you have (Help->About)? There was an issue in 2.3 and earlier that did not properly report BRX module errors. That was addressed in 2.5. 2.5.2 also addressed an issue about properly reporting errors with on-board analog I/O with BRX in the I/O System View. The current version is 2.6.
          There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

What version of Designer do you have (Help->About)? There was an issue in 2.3 and earlier that did not properly report BRX module errors. That was addressed in 2.5. 2.5.2 also addressed an issue about properly reporting errors with on-board analog I/O with BRX in the I/O System View. The current version is 2.6.
            Do-More Designer v.2.5.2

I can upgrade if needs be, but I'm hesitant to do so mid-project. Everything's running, and re-uploading seems to fix the error. I was more curious than anything as to what was happening.

Ryan Poethke

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Poethke View Post

Do-More Designer v.2.5.2

I can upgrade if needs be, but I'm hesitant to do so mid-project. Everything's running, and re-uploading seems to fix the error. I was more curious than anything as to what was happening.

Ryan Poethke
              No need. 2.5.2 is good enough. You are getting I/O System errors, not warnings. When you open the I/O System View, is anything red or yellow?

Comment

No need. 2.5.2 is good enough. You are getting I/O System errors, not warnings. When you open the I/O System View, is anything red or yellow?
                I will be onsite Friday and I'll check. The only yellow error I ever remember seeing was a notice that a HSIO move terminated early and wasn't allowed to complete. I expect that, as it's part of the STOP / E-STOP logic for pre-programmed moves.

Ryan Poethke

Comment

I was onsite yesterday, uploading program updates. I got the error again, and it showed that there was a "critical I/O error" in the baked-in I/O on the PLC. I was able to re-download (it took two attempts and a power cycle) and get the PLC running again. Please see attached screenshot. This makes me slightly nervous, though the PLC seems fine once I got the upload to complete properly. Any insight, and should I be worried?

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke

Attached Files

Comment

So you are having this issue on more than one controller, and only when you update the program? Once itís running itís fine?

Comment

And when it happens, have you tried the "Re-initialize PLC IO..." option at the bottom of the PLC menu?

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
                        So you are having this issue on more than one controller, and only when you update the program? Once itís running itís fine?
                        I've had the problem on more than one controller. Once I can get the program to download successfully and the PLC goes back into RUN mode, it works great.

Ryan Poethke

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
                          And when it happens, have you tried the "Re-initialize PLC IO..." option at the bottom of the PLC menu?
                          I did not try the "Re-initialize PLC IO..." option. I didn't know that was a solution. If it happens again, I'll try that instead of re-downloading.

Ryan Poethke

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Poethke View Post

I did not try the "Re-initialize PLC IO..." option. I didn't know that was a solution. If it happens again, I'll try that instead of re-downloading.

Ryan Poethke

I wouldn't consider it a 'solution'. I'm just trying to get a grip on what might be happening.

Comment

If/when it happens again, I will report back. I'll try to gather as much info as possible, with screenshots.

Ryan Poethke

Comment

Working...
                              X