No announcement yet.

Errors on upload of new program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped by the site this morning to do another round of program updates, and I received several more critical errors after the upload of the new program was complete. Several of the PLCs would not go back into RUN mode. Re-initializing the PLC I/O cleared the error, and allowed me to put the PLCs back into RUN mode without having to re-download the program.

Note: I didn't have to re-download the program to get the PLCs back in to RUN mode.

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke
    Last edited by Ryan_Poethke; 07-25-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Poethke View Post
      I stopped by the site this morning to do another round of program updates, and I received several more critical errors after the upload of the new program was complete. Several of the PLCs would not go back into RUN mode. Re-initializing the PLC I/O cleared the error, and allowed me to put the PLCs back into RUN mode without having to re-download the program.

Note: I didn't have to re-download the program to get the PLCs back in to RUN mode.

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke
      Re-initializing the I/O runs through the driver and I/O system initialization just like when a new SysConfig is downloaded or on powerup. Since that fixes it without a download, we know the project is getting there correctly. That's good. It does appear that following a download one or more I/O modules is unhappy, but is ok after a bit.

What I/O expansion modules do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post

Re-initializing the I/O runs through the driver and I/O system initialization just like when a new SysConfig is downloaded or on powerup. Since that fixes it without a download, we know the project is getting there correctly. That's good. It does appear that following a download one or more I/O modules is unhappy, but is ok after a bit.

What I/O expansion modules do you have?
        It's the baked-in I/O only; no expansion modules. PLC's p/n is: BX-DM1E-18ED13-D

If it matters, I am using these PLC's to do step-and-direction HSIO to control servo motors.

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke

Comment

I'm not sure what it could be. There really aren't a huge number of things that can cause a failure on the built-in I/O and you are the only report I've heard. If you want to dig deeper, we can build a custom OS with some additional diags in it, and get more specific about what the driver is mad at. If you'd like to do that, give us a shout at support@hosteng.com and we can make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
            I'm not sure what it could be. There really aren't a huge number of things that can cause a failure on the built-in I/O and you are the only report I've heard. If you want to dig deeper, we can build a custom OS with some additional diags in it, and get more specific about what the driver is mad at. If you'd like to do that, give us a shout at support@hosteng.com and we can make that happen.
            Bob,
            I would love to. Unfortunately, I don't think I can convince the client to come let me tinker with an install that's about to be up and running. I can re-initialize the I/O if I have to, and all the PLCs are rock solid once I get them into RUN after a program update.

I may have another BRX project coming up. If it happens and I see the error again during the shop build, I'll drop you a line. Thanks again for your outstanding support for this issue, and everything else too.

Ryan Poethke

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Poethke View Post

Bob,
              I would love to. Unfortunately, I don't think I can convince the client to come let me tinker with an install that's about to be up and running. I can re-initialize the I/O if I have to, and all the PLCs are rock solid once I get them into RUN after a program update.

I may have another BRX project coming up. If it happens and I see the error again during the shop build, I'll drop you a line. Thanks again for your outstanding support for this issue, and everything else too.

Ryan Poethke
              Understand completely. If you do have a situation where you can dupe it and are willing to swap out the OS a few times, please let us know.

Comment

deleted post as I had not read the OP correctly!

Comment

Did you ever verify what Boot loader and OS you have in the PLC?
                  If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Just yesterday & today I came across the same error uploading to a BX-DM1E-18ED23-D. Behavior is the same as Ryan describes. Can retrieve version info from the PLC if it's useful.

Comment

Originally posted by congoflood View Post
                      Just yesterday & today I came across the same error uploading to a BX-DM1E-18ED23-D. Behavior is the same as Ryan describes. Can retrieve version info from the PLC if it's useful.
                      Yes, would love to know what version, although I think he was basically up to date.

If you can reliably dupe it and would be willing to work with us, we can build custom firmware with extra debug info to isolate the issue.

Comment

Version info... Do-more 2.6.0, OS 2.6.1, Booter 1.0.6, FPGA 1.11, Hardware 6A 5A 6C.

Occurs every 3rd or 4th time when downloading to PLC with Force download of program etc option checked, and Switch to Program and Switch back to run both enabled.

Doesn't seem to occur when doing a runtime edit. Nor does it seem to happen when downloading with the Program mode/Run mode switches enabled and _not_ Forcing Program etc.

Reinitializing IO fixes the error, although before I read this thread in detail I was using the same fix as Ryan - re-uploading.

This unit is going out to the field on Monday and won't be back until the end of August, but I will try on my testbed BRX and see if it is replicated - if so am very happy to dig further.

Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like the same problem. It should be easy to fix if we can dupe it.

Comment

Working...
                          X