Memory structure names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory structure names

Memory structure names can't have numbers in their names, and only get sixteen characters? Really? How am I supposed to name them?

Ryan Poethke

You can have heap-items with numbers in their names. You cannot have a memory block with numbers (e.g. MyBlock5) because individual elements in the blocks are addressed with an ID. So to reference the first element in MyBlock5 at index 0, you would have to say MyBlock50, which looks like index 50 on the block MyBlock, not index 0 on the block MyBlock5.

Heap-items (think structure tag) can have numbers in them. Also, you can create UDT (User Data Types) of your own structure definition with field names that can contain numbers, although these are also limited to 16 characters. Once you have a UDT defined, you can create as many heap-items (tags) of that type or create data blocks of the UDT type as you want.

We are definitely aware of the 16 character limitation and have plans to increase that (minimally 32).
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

MyStructureName1.MyFieldName12345 is a legal structure and field name. That can be pretty descriptive. We agree that 16 characters needs to be changed, but well over 90% of the variables in a massive package like DmD are less than 16 characters, so I wouldn't view it as an impossible limitation.

Comment

I was referring to what's in the attached screen cap. I have (27) memory blocks to name, and it's gonna get messy to spell everything out in only 16 characters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mem block name.png
Views:	116
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	124555

Thanks,
        Ryan Poethke
        Attached Files

Comment

fyi spelling error in the dialog.

Comment

BlockI
            BlockII
            BlockIII
            BlockIV
            BlockV
            BlockVI
            BlockVII
            BlockVIII
            BlockIX
            BlockX
            BlockXI
            BlockXII
            BlockXIII
            BlockXIV
            BlockXXVII

Comment

Roman showoff!

Comment

BlockA, BlockB, BlockC...BlockAA

Comment

And One, Two, Three, ..., TwentySeven maxes out at 11 characters.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
                    And One, Two, Three, ..., TwentySeven maxes out at 11 characters.
                    That's what I ended up doing. I was just surprised at the limitation.

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Poethke View Post

That's what I ended up doing. I was just surprised at the limitation.

Thanks,

Ryan Poethke
                      It's a trade-off. With indexed blocks of structures, the max name can already be 16+16+16+3=51...Block6789012345[Index678790123456].Field67890123456. Increasing the size to 32 makes that 99. Ladder displays start becoming very chunky when element names get that wide.

We understand the need, and increasing the name size has been on the roadmap for almost as long as there has been a roadmap. It's just a fairly big can of worms, so it has been kicked down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
                        It's just a fairly big can of worms, so it has been kicked down the road.
                        Can we trade you cans of beer for cans of worms? Seriously, we'll ship you beer, just give us more characters.

Also, what's your favorite kind of beer?

Comment

Working...
                        X