Do-more Designer prevents me from using other applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do-more Designer prevents me from using other applications

Preface: I've got a two and a half year old post on the HostEng forums but I'm still losing man-hours to this dreadful programming glitch, so I'm bringing it up here. I know there are some DMD programmers that visit here and can get things done. My frustration is to the point where I'm considering exploring other PLC options. I love Do-more. But I'm getting screwed by this bug and I'm about over it.

The problem: When connecting to a Do-more PLC over ethernet, reading a project from the controller (and possibly writing to it) locks me out of whatever program I used just prior to DMD. It's repeatable on any windows computer running any version of DMD.

Example:
    1. I connect over a VPN to read the program from a PLC to verify program equal.
    2. While it's reading, I switch over to AutoCAD to make some drawing changes. (AutoCAD locks up)
    3. I switch to a PDF to read some PLC documentation, it works for a few seconds. (PDF locks up)
    4. I can now switch back to AutoCAD and work for a few seconds until DMD does it's thing (AutoCAD locks up)
    5. Repeat until DMD has finished connecting
    6. DMD finishes connecting
    7. I now have full access to my computer again.

What I've done: Attempt to report the issue to the developer, post to stack overflow (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ing-else-why-m), wait 2.5 years.

What I haven't done: Tried running DMD in it's own VM to keep it from hogging my PC all for itself. Permanently switching to another PLC.

This problem is repeatable, even on local machines. But with small programs, the lock-up time is insignificant. With large programs over a VPN, the lock-ups are crippling.

How big is your program?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

I experience this on a regular basis too. I have posted about it a few times. First. Second.

I am inclined to think they know what the problem is, as posted by BobO here. Hopefully they will fix it in the next update.

Remember, another program is going to bring up it's own set of challenges and bugs. And I have experienced few programs that have as responsive of a team as DmD in regards to acknowledging bugs and fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by franji1 View Post
        How big is your program?
        I'm not sure what information is more useful so I'll include a couple of things. One program:
        File size of .DMD in Windows Explorer = 113KB
        Memory Blocks Current Size = 156,744 bytes
        Memory Usage in Status Bar = 17321/65536

Thank you for looking into this.

Originally posted by Bolt
        I experience this on a regular basis too. I have posted about it a few times.
        First
        Second

I am inclined to think they know what the problem is, as posted by BobO
        here
        . Hopefully they will fix it in the next update.

Remember, another program is going to bring up it's own set of challenges and bugs. And I have experienced few programs that have as responsive of a team as DmD in regards to acknowledging bugs and fixes.
        I'm glad someone else noticed. I saw Bob's response about grabbing system level modality. I'd love to understand why DMD takes over the way it does, but until then, I'll just say I want it to stop.

I have held a high opinion of the Do-more team. Their responsiveness is refreshing. This issue however is becoming a deal breaker, like a great spouse that only cheats "a little bit". Understanding why may help me to "forgive".

Comment

Another key piece of information - what is your PLC scan time?
          There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Avg = 16.5 ms
            Max = 28.3 ms

Comment

I can duplicate the issue with a large program w/large scan time (30ms). That's a good thing.

Comment

My program's ~161,000 memory blocks, ~14,000 memory usage, but scan times are 5.xms avg, 11.xms max, and it's an issue on mine too. But hopefully if you can test it with a 30ms program, you can fix it for my application too.

Comment

Working...
                X