Can I import tag database from CMore panel to new Domore project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I import tag database from CMore panel to new Domore project

Long time Directsoft user, new to Domore. Doing modification and update to existing Cmore/Directsoft project, using Domore. Since the Cmore will change minimally, I went through it and changed/updated the tag names to appropriate Domore addresses/styles, intending to simply export.import to my blank new documentation editor in Domore and not have to type the several hundred tags over again. I can't seem to find any way to do this. Am I screwed?

You can definitely import documentation into Do-more, but don't know anything about the C-more side. Generally the process works the other direction.

Comment

Hi, that's what I am trying to do. I have the data in the Cmore program, exported to a .csv, and upon trying to import it using the Import fuction from the File menu on Domore, it is 100% errors. I have searched and read everything i can find, but it is not clear what I am doing wrong.

Comment

It is doable, but you will need to do some work with the file in Excel or some other spreadsheet to get the C-more export into a Do-more compatible format.

Export C-more tag database.

In Do-more Export Element Documentation in Standard Format that has some example elements with nicknames, Extra Info and Description fields like you want them to be.

Open both with Excel or other spreadsheet. Doctor the C-more export to look like the Do-more and then save as a .csv file.

Import that file into Do-more.

You'll have a bunch of columns in the C-more you must delete. Rearrange the order of the rest to match the Do-more. Use Find and Replace to get rid of the data type prefix on the element addresses (FLOATR1 should just be R1 for example). Find FLOATR, replace all with R, but only highlight cells with FLOATR before doing the Find and Replace.

It's not hopeless, just not painless.

Comment

Originally posted by daleschlyer View Post
          Long time Directsoft user, new to Domore. Doing modification and update to existing Cmore/Directsoft project, using Domore. Since the Cmore will change minimally, I went through it and changed/updated the tag names to appropriate Domore addresses/styles, intending to simply export.import to my blank new documentation editor in Domore and not have to type the several hundred tags over again. I can't seem to find any way to do this. Am I screwed?
          Make this a lesson learned. Far better to import tags into Cmore from a (insert PLC model) than to go the other way.
          Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Thanks, Nash, I will give it a shot - but it doesn't sound significantly easier than just typing them all over again...and Todd, that's pretty much what I had figured at this point. I made a hasty assumption (perhaps one day i will learn to RTFM first instead of later) that seemed like it would save me a lot of work. I am old enough to know better.

Comment

Originally posted by daleschlyer View Post
              Thanks, Nash, I will give it a shot - but it doesn't sound significantly easier than just typing them all over again...and Todd, that's pretty much what I had figured at this point. I made a hasty assumption (perhaps one day i will learn to RTFM first instead of later) that seemed like it would save me a lot of work. I am old enough to know better.
              What's good about doing it via the Export/Import is that you guarantee the mapping remains correct. If you re-type everything (say 200 tags), how may of the "element" side did you type incorrectly. If you edit the file in Notepad or Excel, the editing is more of a "high level", not the detailed content.

FYI, the format for IMPORT to Designer Documentation is very straight forward
              element,nickname,extra info,description

Element is required, the other 3 are optional, but you probably just want the tag name to become the Designer Nickname, so simply:
              X0, StartSwitch

So in Excel, it would just be 2 columns. You might have to swap/remove some of the C-more exported columns. Save it as .CSV. Then import might complain about an invalid tag name syntax (e.g. can't start with a number, can't be another element, e.g. nickname for X0 can't be "X1"), but you can tweak those after trying the Designer import.

Access it in Designer via File->Import->Element Documentation... menu
              There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Working...
              X