Restore image from SD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore image from SD card

If I create a BRX PLC image with just the basic option selected (retentive memory unchecked), does the existing retentive memory get erased when I load the image to a PLC, or does the project write without changing the existing memory?

Retentive content is migrated. If the memory config hasn't changed, it should remain untouched. If the memory config has changed, we transfer what we can.

Comment

As a follow-up: Can this method be used to initialize a blank PLC? What if the firmware doesn't match between the images? And if the firmware needs to match, can it be loaded from the SD card?
      Last edited by TheGreatMarklar; 03-02-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatMarklar View Post
        As a follow-up: Can this method be used to initialize a blank PLC? What if the firmware doesn't match between the images? And if the firmware needs to match, can it be loaded from the SD card?
        It can be used to initialize a blank PLC. At this point firmware is neither checked nor updated. If you need to do so, DMLoader is the correct tool.

Comment

What I am trying to do is distribute a number of PLCs to clients for retrofitting equipment. If possible, I want to avoid touching the hardware before we ship it. Is there a way to either roll back the firmware required for a project file (to match the factory-installed PLC firmware), or update the firmware with as little client interaction as possible? I've looked at DMLoader, and it looks OK but I can't establish comms with a blank PLC until the IP address is set (manually), and that's not something I trust most of our clients to do.
          Last edited by TheGreatMarklar; 03-02-2020, 05:13 PM. Reason: details

Comment

What I am trying to do is distribute a number of PLCs to clients for retrofitting equipment. If possible, I want to avoid touching the hardware before we ship it. Is there a way to either roll back the firmware required for a project file (to match the factory-installed PLC firmware), or update the firmware with as little client interaction as possible? I've looked at DMLoader, and it looks OK but I can't establish comms with a blank PLC until the IP address is set (manually), and that's not something I trust most of our clients to do.
            Newer firmware should never be a problem with older projects. As long as your project was targeted to the oldest you expect to see, it should be fine.

We could look into updating firmware via the SDCard, but there are a number of possible complications that make me nervous.

Comment

What about an option to carry the IP config in a DMLoader file?

Comment

What about an option to carry the IP config in a DMLoader file?
                Sounds manageable. We can add a feature request case.

Don't know if you are aware, but you can replace the welcome screen of DMLoader with your own instruction page and graphic banner. You might be able to use that to nudge your users into a successful IP config.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post

Sounds manageable. We can add a feature request case.

Don't know if you are aware, but you can replace the welcome screen of DMLoader with your own instruction page and graphic banner. You might be able to use that to nudge your users into a successful IP config.
                  That... is a really good idea. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X