Brx or Do-More PLC with C-More HMI Printing & Writing to a File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brx or Do-More PLC with C-More HMI Printing & Writing to a File

Not sure where to post this.....However, I am trying to decide on which PLC to use. BRX or Do-More. I am wanting to setup a test fixture for a manufacturing process. The PLC will run a test and Pass or fail the unit. When this happens I would like for it to Send a date and time stamp along with a Serial Number to a CSV file. This part I have had working with Do-More but I have not tried a Brx. I think they would be the same. Also, after the test, I would like it to send data out to a printer and print a Date & Time Stamp as well as the Serial Number which I will generate in the PLC. I have done printing out of a port before but it was with a D2-260 processor and has been years ago. I would like to use the Do-More or Brx if possible. If any of this is not possible with the Brxl, Do-More, or the D-260.......Is it possible to do something like this using the C-More. Maybe even do part of the process with a PLC and another Part with the C-More. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely do-able with a serial printer with either BRX or Do-more (205?).

Note that BRX IS a Do-more platform, which exists on 205, Terminator, and BRX hardware platforms, and also the Windows Simulator! So Do-more runs on 4 hardware platforms and you can even move projects between hardware platforms with most of the common functionality. Some features only exist in certain platforms (e.g. SD Card support BRX and Windows Simulator only, not 205 nor Terminator).
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

So what is the real difference between BRX and Do-More? Is it just physical size? Looks like the memory is about the same. If I went with the BRX are there just as many port options? Almost looks like there are more options. Again, we are wanting to do the following:

1. Input with a Barcode Scanner
      2. Output over Ethernet to our Network and send data to a CSV file.
      3. Possibly Input or Read from a table on our Network. Note this is merely a MASK code that says what inputs should be on or off at particular times. This would keep us from storing about 500 MASKS or Patterns. It is easier for our engineers to modifiy a data table than for them to modify a PLC program everytime a new MASK is added. Note this could be done thru the HMI and stored in that manner, however the engineer must then go down to the plant floor and input it. Note this possibly could be saved on a SD card instead of being read from the network.
      4. Use a C-More for an HMI.....Assuming this too would be on the ethernet.
      5. Output data to a printer to print a label.
      6. Also, we want to interface to a Vision System. Not sure the protocol we would use there yet. Possibly Modbus. Maybe over ethernet.
      7. Possibly Output data to a second printer to generate and inspection report.

Based on this criteria, do you suggest Do-More on a 205 platform or a BRX?

Comment

The BRX platform is more advanced than the 25 year old 205 platform. Lots more features. H2-DM1E extends the life of existing I/O, but if this is new, I recommend the new BRX.

BRX supports MQTT and HTTP (H2-DM1E does not), so you have more capabilities for retrieving data from a "server". There is a BX-SERIO module along with a serial POM available for the 2nd printer on BRX.
        There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Franji1. Ok I need to ask one more question. We have a paint line that is about 3-4 years old. It has 205 hardware with Ethernet remote i/o as well which is 205 I/O. It has a Do-more CPU in one of the 205 racks. Part of the attraction to using the Do-More CPU over the BRX was that we could have the same CPU in both pieces of equipment and possibly use it as a backup. However, are you saying that at some point the BRX will take over for the Do-More. Is the 205 platform at the end of it's development life cycle? If this is the case, could the Do-More CPU be replaced by a BRX and connected via Ethernet to the old 205 rack if the CPU were replaced with a H2-DM1E? At this point I don't know which way to go. I mean either way is fine, but I will have to convince others as I have pushed for the Do-More CPU as it was the same, but I don't want to be stuck in the stone age.

Comment

Originally posted by CEstherDurham View Post
            Is the 205 platform at the end of it's development life cycle?
            Definitely NOT! The 205 is still a good I/O platform. Your reasons are 100% valid (e.g. spare parts issues, training, etc.). It's just that it is much harder to enhance the functionality of a 25 year old platform. Hence BRX!

For example, we could try to develop an SD-card module for 205, trying to do that across the backplane. OR, implement it in state-of-the-art BRX hardware, on-board, for free (well, you know what I mean - it's built-in to the MPU), where it works great.

So, if you need logging capability to an SD-card, BRX is the better answer. Full Disclosure: 205 H2-DM1E CPU does support a RAM-DRIVE (NOT SD-card), so you could log to a RAM Drive, and the EMAIL instruction in the 205 H2 CAN EMAIL ATTACHMENTS. So for THAT, you could still utilize your H2-DM1E CPU.

Realize that BRX is 100% completely designed, developed, and built in Upper East Tennessee and Florida. Not Japan. Not China. Even the PLASTIC is done in Knoxville, TN (that is technically East Tennessee, not Upper East Tennessee :-D )

Comment

So basically, for what I want to do either works.....Correct? If you could look over my wish list one more time. If you say it is definitely a BRX project, then that is what I will do. Fact is ADC keeps CPU's in stock and I could have one overnight, or convert he CPU to a BRX later. For this I just need to be able to do the following regardless of our other equipment.

3. Possibly Input or Read from a table on our Network. Note this is merely a MASK code that says what inputs should be on or off at particular times. This would keep us from storing about 500 MASKS or Patterns. It is easier for our engineers to modifiy a data table than for them to modify a PLC program everytime a new MASK is added. Note this could be done thru the HMI and stored in that manner, however the engineer must then go down to the plant floor and input it. Note this possibly could be saved on a SD card instead of being read from the network.
              6. Also, we want to interface to a Vision System. Not sure the protocol we would use there yet. Possibly Modbus. Maybe over ethernet.

Comment

Originally posted by CEstherDurham View Post
                So basically, for what I want to do either works.....Correct? If you could look over my wish list one more time. If you say it is definitely a BRX project, then that is what I will do. Fact is ADC keeps CPU's in stock and I could have one overnight, or convert he CPU to a BRX later. For this I just need to be able to do the following regardless of our other equipment.

Yes, with a H2-SERIO module for the 2nd printer and barcode scanner. You won't be able to utilize the MQTT or HTTPCMD, but have to develop your own protocol, or try to get your table source to speak Modbus.

Comment

Working...
                X