Designer 2.7 crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designer 2.7 crashes

I installed the 2.7 update yesterday, and since that time, I've had two crashes that caused lost work. I had gotten out of the habit of saving frequently to guard against crashes as the last few versions were very stable (had to do something like loose comms with more than one copy of the designer open to crash it). I thought I remembered something about auto-save, but it looks like that is different than a background autosave. I realize that functionality would be kind of difficult to implement (maybe background autosave to a seperate copy of the project each time the F8 button is pressed?).

If it makes a difference, both of my crashes happened when I was opening the rung editor. It's not crashing every time I open the rung editor, but each crash happened there. Not sure if others are seeing this, or if my computer is starting to flake out

Yuk.

If you have crash dump files, please send them to support@hosteng.com. If you learn more about what does it, please let us know. We'll definitely prioritize a fix.

Comment

Look in your public documents\Do-more\Designer2_7\bin folder for the .dmp file(s). Email them to support (at) hosteng.com.

When you said "opening the rung editor", which instruction were you starting to edit?
      There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post
        Yuk.

If you have crash dump files, please send them to support@hosteng.com. If you learn more about what does it, please let us know. We'll definitely prioritize a fix.
        Will do. I just looked; it doesn't look like the crash from today generated any files, but there's files there from yesterday. I'll email those over. As soon as I figure out the email connection (working from home, nonstandard email setup...)

Comment

Originally posted by franji1 View Post
          Look in your public documents\Do-more\Designer2_7\bin folder for the .dmp file(s). Email them to support (at) hosteng.com.

When you said "opening the rung editor", which instruction were you starting to edit?
          I'm realizing now that I meant to say rung _comment_ editor. Not rung editor. Sorry. No instruction. I can't remember if I was using a double click to open it, or Ctrl-K. Today's crash, I was opening a comment editor on a SG instruction, if that helps. Or at least I was trying. If I was using the mouse, I may have missed. I can tell you that I was online for yesterday's crash, but today's was offline (working at home).

I'm wondering if it's something with the new formatting options on the rung editor.

Comment

Email should be sent.

Comment

Just triggered the crash two more times in a row, using the program I sent in the email (steps listed in the email.)

Comment

Just tried again using Ctrl-K, no help window open. Still crashes. For the Ctrl-K style crash, I had the cursor on the wire after the second instruction on rung 2. I'll try restarting my computer and see if I can duplicate again.

Comment

Well, restarting seems to have cleared that particular cobweb, temporarily. I opened the comment editor several times on that rung with no problems. So, I started opening it other places and after a while, it crashed again. I didn't count how many times I opened the editor before it crashed, but it was probably around 20-30 times. No edits made, but I did click OK once or twice. Otherwise, I just hit ESC on the keyboard.

Reopening Do-more after the crash, I was able to crash it after opening the comment editor twice.

Comment

Hopefully we can figure it out.
                    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Got your files. Thank you!

Comment

FWIW,
                        I tried with the Simple Drum and the Pointer Manipulation projects.
                        I got pretty good at CTRL-K and ALT-O. But did not get a crash.
                        It is possible that :
                        1. I did not try long enough.
                        2. Your project has something that bugs out the editor (Any special characters/weblinks in your comments)
                        3. Something in your computer interfering with the editor.
                        4. Something that I did not consider

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
                          FWIW,
                          I tried with the Simple Drum and the Pointer Manipulation projects.
                          I got pretty good at CTRL-K and ALT-O. But did not get a crash.
                          It is possible that :
                          1. I did not try long enough.
                          2. Your project has something that bugs out the editor (Any special characters/weblinks in your comments)
                          3. Something in your computer interfering with the editor.
                          4. Something that I did not consider
                          Well, if YOU can't get it to crash.... LOL

Nothing special in the comment. Nothing in the comment at all, actually. I was trying to add one to a rung that was in a Stage.

It's possible it's something with my computer. Not liking that coincidence that the crashes started happening right after upgrading to 2.7 though.

Comment

I'm duplicating an issue that can cause an eventual crash. We're getting close!

Comment

Originally posted by franji1 View Post
                              I'm duplicating an issue that can cause an eventual crash. We're getting close!
                              Anything that you can share? I would try it on my end -- if it is not too convoluted.

Comment

Working...
                              X