Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Productivity 2000 and C-More Micro Communication Problems

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone has ever ran into any reliability issues using the 232 communications with a P2-550 CPU and an EA3 C-More micro. My setup is as follows-

P2-550 RS232 port

EA3-T6CL port 2 (15 pin)

EA-2CBL serial cable

19.2k baud

The P2-550 uses the 100-240VAC power supply for the rack, and the C-more is powered from a 24vdc Rhino power supply. This setup is on several functioning units worldwide and on a prototype at my location, but there are repeat issues from a couple of locations where the com port on the CPU is damaged. Sometimes it takes out the port on the HMI, as well. I think something keeps blowing the com port on the cpu, which in turn takes out the HMI port. The serial cable is a direct plug-in, and is shipped to the user installed and tested. I have considered installing opto-isolators on the units, but I don't think that will completely solve the problem of the cpu ports. It would only prevent damage to the HMI. I am wondering if anyone has ever ran into similar issues and found a good solution.

Thanks.

Have you made sure there is no grounding issue?
    1) Check between neutral and Ground on 120VAC power?
    2) Is the jumper between GND & LGND installed on the P2-01AC?
    3) Is the Rhino power supply negative "-" connected to ground in cabinet?
    4) Is the Rhino supply connected to any other loads? (relay coils, solenoids, etc...)

Have you tried using the D0-CBL rather than the EA-2CBL in any of these applications?

If you contact tech support and arrange a return of one of the bad P2 units (specify the unit needs to be returned to the attention of a product engineer) we can direct it to Facts engineering to see if they can determine any cause of failure on the P2 port.
    Last edited by PSeries_Eng; 01-04-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      1. Neutral to ground is 0V.
      2. Jumper installed.
      3. The minus of the 24v is not connected to the panel ground. Zero potential to ground, though. I have tried connecting them, but the problem persists.
      4. There are other loads, but there are suppressors used on the coils.
      Have not tried the D0-CBL, I can try it and change com ports in the HMI, but I think the root problem is on the CPU side. I have been working with tech support for a while on this problem, it just seems so random in occurrence that itís hard to pinpoint a common factor, other than the failures are coming from one certain geographic area. Power quality issue maybe? Hopefully they can help narrow down the problem when they examine the returned parts. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Power quality issue maybe?
        This is what we would suspect. Grounding or voltage surge issues damaging the serial port on the cpu.
        Have you tried or is it possible to try a separate power supply for the cmore micro and the other loads to isolate the power?

Hopefully they can help narrow down the problem when they examine the returned parts.
        Do you know when you were sent to reutrns if they were notified to direct the returns to a product engineer? When were the returns done? Do you have a ticket number from your interaction with tech support?

Thanks,

Comment

I don't think it is possible, without some major on-site modifications, to isolate the power to the relay coils. The 24V loads are relay coils on ZipLink modules. The loads they are controlling are 12Vdc, on a separate supply. Given that the same setup produces no problems in several other locations, I am thinking it may be a power quality issue. I might be able to convince the users to install a separate 24V supply just for the HMI.

I do have a ticket number, and the tech I spoke with told me he left some notes on the issue for the returns. They are in process now.

Comment

Do you have the RA number? Can you provide the ticket number you have?
            Last edited by PSeries_Eng; 01-08-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Yes. Ticket number from tech support is 1431958, and one of the RA numbers is 9991163. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, We think we have tracked it down. Whoever you had do the return did not reference the Tech Support ticket so this did not get flagged to be inspected. This causes us to have to go through returns and try to guess which unit it was. In the future please have them refer to the tech support heat ticket when doing a return and it will save us LOTS of time. Also the return reason given by the person returning the unit did not match the ticket description which made it harder to find.

Comment

Ok. I did give the ticket number from tech support to the person doing the return, I guess he just didn't reference it. I will personally make sure this gets done in the future to prevent any confusion. Thanks.

Comment

I'm running into this issue on two of our machines, is this just something that happens or did something else get found in this instance?

Comment

Originally posted by thenate22 View Post
                      I'm running into this issue on two of our machines, is this just something that happens or did something else get found in this instance?
                      I have used productivity PLCs with rs232 to a couple cmore HMIs for years with not a single issue. So I doubt it is something that "just happens". Though I always use a different power supply to my HMIs than the rest of the 24v electronics in the panel. I dont want coil spikes from other devices going to my HMI as they seem very voltage sensitive.

Comment

Originally posted by thenate22 View Post
                        We have used this setup for a while with no issues, except from one certain facility. Adding a separate 24vdc power supply for the HMI and an AC power filter for the CPU power supply seems to have fixed the problem. I think they were shutting the machine down under load, which allowed a lot of spikes on the 24vdc. This facility is overseas, so I felt better about installing any kind of protection possible for this issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X