P1K Stepper Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1K Stepper Options

I'm still kind of holding out for a high speed output for the P1K, but if it never comes, what kind of options do I have for driving two steppers?

I have an application I would like to use the P1K for, but it involves two stepper motors. Currently, there's only 1 serial port to be used with with the SureStep Advanced drives that can accept ASCII commands. Not to mention that 2 advanced drives cost $460....almost as much as the PLC. I've looked into upgrading to the P2K, but my current P1K configuration will cost $585, the same P2K configuration (less the HSO) costs $890...adding the HSO brings the cost up to $1150.

Are there stepper drivers that I can use either a 0-20ma or 0-10v output card to control? I've also considered using an Arduino to handle the stepper work and sending commands to the Arduino via Modbus. Are there other alternatives out there, or do I just need to be more patient...or just bite the bullet and spend the $1150 on a P2K?

You could put in a second P1k cpu and connect the two via ProNet comms. The second cpu could control the second stepper via serial.

Comment

g.mccormick likely has the best and cheapest idea since the cpu can be used as a stand alone processor with no I/O or base costs associated. We have plans to offer P1 CPUs or options with enhanced features in the future, but too soon to start planning projects for those products.

Comment

Applied motion have a 4 port hub that can work with the advance steppers, they call it SiNet HUB 444. https://www.applied-motion.com/produ.../sinet-hub-444

Comment

Thanks for the input. Browsing the applied motion site, I found a few options I can use. Thanks for the reference!

Comment

Originally posted by PSeries_Eng View Post
            We have plans to offer P1 CPUs or options with enhanced features in the future, but too soon to start planning projects for those products.
            You can't just throw that kind of information out there and not give us a little more detail!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_ View Post

You can't just throw that kind of information out there and not give us a little more detail!
              Awww, Brandon, we won't know about it until we can actually make the purchase!

Comment

Working...
              X