p1 modbus tcp or eth/ip sluggish dataview/monitoring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p1 modbus tcp or eth/ip sluggish dataview/monitoring

have an amci nr25 hooked to a p1 , got it connected ok via either modbus tcp and eth/ip implicit.
    however, i cannot get a usable smooth count from it in either mode, tried different automatic poll/rpi times.

My hmi which IS reading the value updates in near real-time..

anyhow the value jumps around and im missing compares because of it.

Did you follow these instructions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=zvWHZQToIWg
    If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

I used the eds import option for the implicit. how can the hmi update so smoothly if im not properly connected?
      Last edited by quaizywabbit; 06-16-2018, 04:32 PM. Reason: implicit not explicit

Comment

1. Your HMI should be on a different IP address than the AMCI.
        2. Another poster, using a different device, had an issue with the imported eds files parameters being not correct. If the supplier has a printed version of what your generic connections parameters should be, I'd compare it to what the eds file created.
        3. I'd still watch the video for any possible, aha! moments.
        If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better - Walt Disney

Comment

ill try the video version tomorrow...i do know when using the eds, i could not select 16bit unsigned for the array, only 8 bit

Comment

my hmi is reading the tag from the p1000, it updates smoothly on the hmi, but stumbles through the range (monitoring in the software) unless i go extraordinarily slow(not usable)
            i tried the i/o non eds per the video, same thing, also in modbus tcp. hmi reads the tag fine, but software doesnt update fast enough even though avg scan time reports 1.3ms
            Last edited by quaizywabbit; 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Where are you viewing the values? if in Data view these values are only updated every 250 msecs. Therefore, you will see some difference if you HMI is polling at a faster rate than that.
              If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by P3K_ADC_Eng View Post
                Where are you viewing the values? if in Data view these values are only updated every 250 msecs. Therefore, you will see some difference if you HMI is polling at a faster rate than that.
                yes in the data view. the logic monitoring as well.....the logic doesnt update any faster than the number it sees, im seeing it skip a compare because the number is near the rollover of the encoder.
                Last edited by quaizywabbit; 06-18-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Ladder execution is done on a per scan basis. Has nothing to do with monitoring. Please refer to topic P202 for additional information on our logic scan behavior.

If needed please contact our technical support team. They will be happy to help answer any other questions or concerns you may have.

Last edited by P3K_ADC_Eng; 06-18-2018, 03:40 PM.
                  If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

where is the p202 topic at? edit:never mind I found it..

I hope there's room to improve the monitoring rate, what it is now doesn't lend itself to trust...
                    Last edited by quaizywabbit; 06-18-2018, 06:50 PM. Reason: never mind found it..

Comment

Originally posted by quaizywabbit View Post
                      where is the p202 topic at? edit:never mind I found it..

I hope there's room to improve the monitoring rate, what it is now doesn't lend itself to trust...
                      I don't know of any PLC programming software that can update a data view in real time. Even RSLogix500/5000 lags.

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgeline Mach View Post

I don't know of any PLC programming software that can update a data view in real time. Even RSLogix500/5000 lags.
                        the brx I have for a different project is pretty close. suffers none of the lag i described. Better hardware or something...come to think of it, ds6 isn't half bad either with a dl06 and an h0-ecom100.
                        I guess my expectations were raised by the performance of those...

Comment

I wonder if the P1 has a slower ethernet port. Had a big project with lots of tags and the HMI was slow to respond with update rates. Also noticed that while programming, the HMI lost communication with the plc. I have never noticed it with BRX.

Comment

Even an extremely slow Ethernet port *should* have latencies of less than a millisecond. Even the most basic network chips have hadlatency that low for decades. Now that could be different on these PLCs since I believe they use an FPGA rather than a regular Ethernet chip for the network port itself. Probably has to due with being able to directly receive certain PLC instructions and process directly on network modules themselves which an off the shelf chip cant do. But even still, I would find it very strange for an FPGA Ethernet solution to have latencies of more than 1 millisecond.

It would be nice if the data view monitoring in Productivity could be improved to an update every 5ms. Modern computers can handle that easily and network communication is plenty fast enough for that. The Do-More stuff and even DL06 with an ECOM feel like their data views update every 5-10ms.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                              Even an extremely slow Ethernet port *should* have latencies of less than a millisecond. Even the most basic network chips have hadlatency that low for decades. Now that could be different on these PLCs since I believe they use an FPGA rather than a regular Ethernet chip for the network port itself. Probably has to due with being able to directly receive certain PLC instructions and process directly on network modules themselves which an off the shelf chip cant do. But even still, I would find it very strange for an FPGA Ethernet solution to have latencies of more than 1 millisecond.

It would be nice if the data view monitoring in Productivity could be improved to an update every 5ms. Modern computers can handle that easily and network communication is plenty fast enough for that. The Do-More stuff and even DL06 with an ECOM feel like their data views update every 5-10ms.
                              Hardware latency is rarely the issue, latency usually comes from the application layer. In most PLCs, it's related to scan time and/or comm thread scheduling. When users start asking for faster comm than we are comfortable giving them, my normal answer is "We are a PLC first. Slapping relays is our priority". Except for rare cases however, we can generally solve logic and give you comm updates that are effectively real time. We have had a few users push for more, and we have to gently remind them that it is "a PLC, not a data acquisition system".

Comment

Working...
                              X