Tag issue in 3.2.x and above

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tag issue in 3.2.x and above

I've come across an issue in assigning tags to inputs / outputs.

If you need to move a tag to a different input/output, once you delete it from the originally assigned input or output, the tag no longer exists.

IE, "This_input_tag" was assigned to 0.1.1.1. I want to move it to 0.1.1.32. In the past, I would remove the tag from input 1, go down to input 32 and start typing the tag name and it would pop up. Now, the tag is gone and you have to re-create the tag entirely.

You should not be deleting the tag. In the tag database you would go to the IO Address column and make sure the Input point you wish to assign it to is not assigned to another tag. If it is you must select the blank field for that input point.( In your example DI.0.1.1.32)

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	116953
    Then assign the tag you wish to move to that point.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	116954

Help File P264

Comment

I think 1.10 introduced tag renaming(?)
      Somehow deleting i/o tags became a thing.
      I don't recall anyone clamoring for it.

Comment

When I say "delete" I don't mean deleting the ACTUAL tag. I mean deleting the "tag name" in the drop down box in hardware config.

If you go into Hardware Config > Local Base Group > "Insert IO card here" (let's say it's 0.1.1);

In past revisions, if I had a tag assigned to 0.1.1.1 , I could remove the text from point #1, then move to another unused input, click the drop down box (or start typing the tag name that was just removed from point #1) and it would be there as a "selectable" tag.

That function no longer exists for some reason. I'm not sure if it's on purpose or a bug. That was by far the easiest way to move tags around. I'm aware of the above way to do it, it's just a pain in the ass compared to doing it in the hardware config. I hate when features like that are removed for seemingly no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_ View Post
          When I say "delete" I don't mean deleting the ACTUAL tag. I mean deleting the "tag name" in the drop down box in hardware config.
          Understood

Originally posted by Brandon_ View Post
          I hate when features like that are removed for seemingly no reason.
          Like the ability to copy data from dataview and paste into excel. Lost somewhere around 1.10

Comment

I tested the way you are doing it in

and the latest 3.2.4.1

It works the same through all these versions. I do find it a pain to have to delete the tag then "OK" then open hw config window back up and select the tag then OK again, but if that is easier than opening tag database and changing it in one window to each his own. However it looks like it worked and is working the same as it has for years.

Comment

The way I always did it works the same in previous versions and all the way to the latest 3.2.4.1. Instead of "deleting" the tag by removing its name from the old IO point, instead select it and use "ctrl+x" to cut the tag, then go to where you want, say DI-0.1.1.32 and just paste it there. Faster than typing it all again and it still works the same as it always did.

But Techme is right, simply selecting from a dropdown window is easier and faster to move tags around to different IO points. In the hardware config of moving tags around you do have to leave the old space blank and select "ok" and then re-open before you can then re-assign previously used spots, which is slower than double clicking in the tag database and selecting it there.

Comment

Working...
              X