• Show
Clear All

• MikeN
    replied
    good to know!

Leave a comment:

• z28z34man
    replied
    the C-more EA9 dose support SSL. i haven't used it myself but i remember seeing a video on it on youtube on the automation direct channel setting it up for a G-mail with SSL. All my E-mailing is internal and our E-mail server doesn't require SSL so i use the productivity series E-mail and love it's flexibility to change it's from address depending on what the E-mail is about.

attached is a screen shot of the E-mail client page and there is a check mark for SSL
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• xtal_01
    replied
    First a very big thanks!

I called my provider (since I am still waiting to here back from the client) who is comcast. They said they require SSL. So I must use the BRX with the Cmore panel since it sounds like neither the cmore or the productivity will do SSL. Using the BRX will make sure I have all bases covered.

I will use the BRX to email out daily flow totals as well as alarms.

So, I just wanted to make sure I am still OK on the Cmore.

I want remote access (to turn on and off pumps) ... from other posts I put up, I was told to use the Cmore with a VNP router to do the remote accessing (I was also going to use it for e-mail but now that is out). I was even given some great screen shots of how others had used it in the same way. I was told to just plug the PLC into the router and the cmore into the router ... then the router into the modem.

Am I still OK with this or is there anything odd I need to know about?

Just want to double check to make sure I am on the right path.

Thanks again .... Mike

Leave a comment:

• MikeN
    replied
    Originally posted by franji1 View Post

BRX -E models DO support SSL/TLS for EMAIL, with Authentication and Certification.
    yes that's what I meant. Thanks for pointing out my typo., dont want bad info out there.
    Last edited by MikeN; 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xtal_01
    replied
    Awesome!

Man, I have a lot to learn.

The panel is easy ... PLC's, never really had a problem ... communications, ever even thought about this!

Heck, I thought I was doing real well when I got a Linux computer to network with a Windows computer here at home.

Thanks so very much!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• franji1
    replied
    Originally posted by xtal_01 View Post
    So I guess the first thing I need to do is contact the provider and ask if their SMTP requires non encrypted or SSL/TLC encrypted emails ?

Cmore ..... non encrypted email only

Productivity plc .... non encrypted email only

BRX - E ...... SSL/TLC email only >?????????

By BRX - E, do you mean the BX-DM1E-M-D or do you mean BX-DM1-10ER-D ?

Also can the BRX - E also do non encrypted emails or do they need to use SSL/TLC ?

For a first time user like myself this is super important!

I would hate to build a panel thinking it can send out e-mails and then find out I need (or don't need) to be able to handle (or not handle) SSL/TLC !

This is my biggest fear with this project .... these little but super important details that might creep into the project.

I really appreciate all the help and advice with this project !!!!!!!!!

Mike
    The -E means a BRX model that has the built-in Ethernet port (there is an E in the part number, e.g. BX-DM1E-xxxx vs. BX-DM1-xxxx). You could buy a NON-E and then an ECOMLT Pluggable Option Module (POM), but POMs do NOT support EMAIL.

Do-more BRX can do either non-encrypted (Port 25) or TLS (Port 587) or SSL (Port 465):

Click image for larger version

Name:	SMTP1.png
Views:	67
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	117953

Leave a comment:

• xtal_01
    replied
    So I guess the first thing I need to do is contact the provider and ask if their SMTP requires non encrypted or SSL/TLC encrypted emails ?

Cmore ..... non encrypted email only

Productivity plc .... non encrypted email only

BRX - E ...... SSL/TLC email only >?????????

By BRX - E, do you mean the BX-DM1E-M-D or do you mean BX-DM1-10ER-D ?

Also can the BRX - E also do non encrypted emails or do they need to use SSL/TLC ?

For a first time user like myself this is super important!

I would hate to build a panel thinking it can send out e-mails and then find out I need (or don't need) to be able to handle (or not handle) SSL/TLC !

This is my biggest fear with this project .... these little but super important details that might creep into the project.

I really appreciate all the help and advice with this project !!!!!!!!!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• franji1
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeN View Post
    I believe only BRX PLCs cant send emails to SMTP servers with encryption.
    BRX -E models DO support SSL/TLS for EMAIL, with Authentication and Certification.

Leave a comment:

• xtal_01
    replied
    Again, you are awesome!

I have been reading through the manual and trying to find this stuff!

I will definitely take a look at the BRX.

I am trying to be a bit redundant since I have not done this before.

I am planning to use the Cmore for e-mail but it would be good to have the PLC also have the capability of sending them just in case I have problems with getting the Cmore to do this.

As for logging ....

I may be over stating what I am doing. The client is only interested in the previous days flow being sent to him. After reading all the posts, I think that I only need to store two numbers (one for each flow meter) ... and keep adding to them ... just sample ever minute and add this number to the stored value. Then once a day, e-mail this value and set the number to zero again.

I am really not sure if I can call that logging .... more add and store one value .

Thanks so very much again!!!!!!

I can see this will be a fun project ... as usual, learning on the fly!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• MikeN
    replied
    It doesnt sound like you need high speed inputs or outputs (for encoder input, or pulse output to steppers or servo). If that is true then you could look and see if the P1000 will fit your needs. It is drastically cheaper and smaller. The P1000 also has a microSD slot. Its main limitation is that it cant fit nearly as much IO as the larger ones.

Honestly since you havent done PLC stuff in so many years, I think the productivity is a far easier platform to learn and do. However, I find the email capabilities and logging capabilities of the Do-More BRX to be far superior than Productivity. Just about everything else I still prefer Productivity, but any data logging or coms I always go with Do-More instead. The thing with the BRX is that I can put a "FILELOG" instruction in the program whenever I want, set the tags/memory locations I want to log with that instruction, and tell it what log to save the tags under. I can then make an email instruction whenever and wherever I want and email the log files so easily. Productivity has to use the "data logger" window and you set the log file name there for them all and you cant just make 20 different logs with all different tags in each log file. Now maybe you dont need that, maybe you just need the one log file with only the same tags logged each time, so then you might not need to go with the Do-More extra logging ability. But I tend to need the extra stuff for logging that Productivity just doesnt quite want to do. The learning curve of Do-More is quite a bit higher though.

If you are doing the email in CMore then it is probably fine, but I believe both CMore and Productivity cannot send emails to SSL or TLS connected email servers, which is standard encrypted connection. So you also have to be aware of whether your SMTP server has an un-encrypted one to use or not. I believe only BRX PLCs can send emails to SMTP servers with encryption.
    Last edited by MikeN; 09-21-2018, 01:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xtal_01
    replied
    Metal building (10 x 12) in NC. Just mounted on the wall in a control panel. No vibration. I would say warm to hot most of the time though they are thinking of putting AC in the shed.

Leave a comment:

• g.mccormick
    replied
    What is the physical location like? Hot/Cold? Lots of vibrations?

Leave a comment:

• xtal_01
    started a topic advice please 2000 vs 3000

advice please 2000 vs 3000

This is the first time I am using a PLC in 10 years. The company I worked 13 years for before this had GE Fanuc ... and for a few years before this, I used AB's.

My client wants a PLC to turn on and off pumps remotely (12 of them ... and manually with an HOA switches on the panel), read and totalize flow from two meters, send out a daily e-mail telling the flow total for the day before and send an e-mail if the flow falls out of range.

Anyway ... I have put up a few posts now. Looks like I am going with the Cmore panel. It will handle the remote access via a SrideLinx VPN router. Totalizing will be handled by the PLC. E-mails can be sent by either the PLC or by the Cmore.

So one of my last questions ... what PLC to use?

I think I have it down to the Productivity 2000 or 3000. I just can't see a real difference between the two.

Can someone tell me in why I would pick one over the other?

They both do data loging ... both have Ethernet ... (from one of the other posts, it was recommended to use the Ethernet port into a router for the communications to the Cmore and the web).

Since I am only storing a days data (then erasing and starting again), maybe the 2000 having a micro SD port makes sense?

Just basic math functions to totalize the two flow meters ... both have a 4-20 mA output.

The rest is just 24 VDC inputs from switches and outputs to relays (that in turn drive contactors).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Mike
Working...
X