P3K drive communication options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3K drive communication options

I have a project that I am planing on using a P3K and it will need to communicate to 3 Parker SSD 590 DC drives. I am trying to decide if I should use LINKnet (over Ethernet IP or Modbus TCPIP) or if I should just use Modbus RS485.

I believe Modbus RS485 would be the simple option. I am thinking i would use a P3-SCM and 3 FA-ISOCON so each drive gets its own port. is the throughput on the P3-SCM good enough for stable drive communications?

for Linknet I am thinking I need a managed switch to VLAN and the overall setup would be more difficult but i am not sure if would be better in the end.

Whats your opinion and why?
    Linknet over ethernet IP
    100.00%
    Linknet over Modbus TCPIP
    0%
    Modbus RS485 VIA a P3-SCM
    0%

The P3-SCM has multiple RS232 ports and a single RS485 port. So you cannot use 485 and have each with their own port.

Comment

I was planning on using the FA-ISOCON to convert from RS232 to rs485. I think that would work but If I am missing something let me know.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...​​

Comment

Well i have a few more curve balls thrown in to my plan. i started researching the stride managed switches and i cant have the main Ethernet port on 2 separate VLANs. so i can pick drive coms or communicating with the rest plant on the main Ethernet port.

i have came up with 2 other options that i could still use the LINKnet cards
        a layer 3 switch with inter VLAN routing. i am not sure where to find an affordable industrial layer 3 switch.
        a strtide SGW-MB1511-T Modbus gateway and use the P3K rs485 port

thoughts?

Comment

Sounds like that will do what you want it to, as it lets you have up to 16 ethernet clients and set the modbus serial as master. It only supports modbus comms, so you will have to use Modbus TCP on the drives.
          This does seem like a much cheaper way than buying three FA-ISOCONs and a P3-SCM. I believe with this method you will be using two ports on your switch though right? the main P3k port will be on "vlan1" with plant comms, and the modbus converted to ENet will be on a second switch port on "vlan2"?

Comment

If I decided to go with managed switches it would have ended up using 3 ports on the managed switch for the main rack on the PLC and have 3 VLANs. 1 port for the main Ethernet it will be on a VLAN with the plant network and an HMI. 1 port for the SGW-MB1511-T it will be on a VLAN with the drives. 1 port for the remote IO port on the main rack it will be on a VLAN with a remote rack

Now i am debating if i want a managed switch at all. I might chose 3 separate dumb switches it would be easier for are electricians to understand and if 1 goes out there is no config file to drop in.

Comment

Yes, you absolutely cannot count on electricians to understand that when changing switches or cables (or even plugging things in initially) that they have to have a specific device plugged into a specific port (because of port based vlan) or it wont work. Three unmanaged 5 port switches is also cheaper than the cheapest managed switch that Automation Direct sells, so it saved money and allows less collisions for the remote IO to deal with leading to better performance of the network.
              https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...z-100/se2-sw5u
              https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...z-100/se2-sw8m

Downsides are that you take up a little extra panel space, and you need to label each switch directly to that electricians can understand that each one is for a different purpose. They are almost as likely to plug things into wrong switches as they are to caring about which specific port things get plugged into.

Comment

Working...
              X