• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JulesTop
    started a topic User Structures

User Structures

Hi,
    Is there a place where we can submit feature requests.

The only hurdle that I see with using a productivity series PLC on big systems with multiple cells or a quanitiy of similar devices is that I cannot create my own data structures. If we could create our own user defined data structures with various data types within them, and have arrays of these structures, this would allow for a lot of code re-use.
    This would allow our teams work to be more streamlined and we could build standards on the productivity platform.

I may be missing this feature, or it might be coming up... but is there a way of doing this... or at least a place where I can submit a feature request?

Thanks!

• JulesTop
    replied
    Originally posted by Elcan View Post

I have 2 theories:
    1) Either this feature is too hard to implement, and AutomationDirect has been struggling with it for the past few years.
    2) Or, AutomationDirect is not aware of the impact this feature would make to the Productivity series, making a big number of CompactLogix users move to Productivity2000 or 3000.

My vote is to option #1.
    But the thing is, they have implemented their own structures for instructions... so they are mostly there. Now they need to make the user defined side of things... it's true that it will need to come with nested structures within structures, and being able to manipulate structure data and placing into arrays, etc. But you would think that if they managed the back-end for their own structures, that they should be able to implement the rest.

Not minimizing it though... it's likely very challenging... but yes, it is a game changer for the PLC series.

Leave a comment:

• Elcan
    replied
    Originally posted by KyleB View Post
    Came here to post a similar post. Happy to see its in the works.
    PLEASE RELEASE THIS SOON!
    Definitely my (currently) most missed feature in Productivity vs Rockwell.
    I have 2 theories:
    1) Either this feature is too hard to implement, and AutomationDirect has been struggling with it for the past few years.
    2) Or, AutomationDirect is not aware of the impact this feature would make to the Productivity series, making a big number of CompactLogix users move to Productivity2000 or 3000.

My vote is to option #1.

Leave a comment:

• KyleB
    replied
    Came here to post a similar post. Happy to see its in the works.
    PLEASE RELEASE THIS SOON!
    Definitely my (currently) most missed feature in Productivity vs Rockwell.

Leave a comment:

• JulesTop
    replied
    Originally posted by BobO View Post

I'm sure there is. I was just clarifying that the post the other user cited was referring to Do-more, which did implement UDTs in 2.0.
    Oh, I see... OK, that's great to hear!

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    Originally posted by JulesTop View Post
    So there is no plan to implement user structures?
    I'm sure there is. I was just clarifying that the post the other user cited was referring to Do-more, which did implement UDTs in 2.0.

Leave a comment:

• z28z34man
    replied
    the Productivity engineer said it is in the works for the productivity series.

the previous quot was about an old message from 2015 about the do-more. i believe do-more already has user defined tags
    Last edited by z28z34man; 02-08-2019, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JulesTop
    replied

That's referring to Do-more, not Productivity.
    So there is no plan to implement user structures?

Leave a comment:

• Elcan
    replied

My bad! I skipped the quoted text....

Leave a comment:

• BobO
    replied
    Originally posted by Elcan View Post
    See this:
    07-20-2015, 12:36 AM
    Originally posted by Frontier View Post
    The current plan is to add user definable structures to 2.0.

Leave a comment:

• Elcan
    replied
    See this:
    07-20-2015, 12:36 AM
    Originally posted by Frontier View Post
    The current plan is to add user definable structures to 2.0.

Leave a comment:

• JulesTop
    replied
    I hope it comes quickly. I saw a post that mentioned it was in the works in 2015...
    Our organization is discussing standardized platforms and we love AD for everything it offers, and the Productivity PLCs are great in many aspects... but this prevents it from scaling to bigger systems for us.

Leave a comment:

• z28z34man
    replied
    That is awesome. The productivity series keeps on getting better.

Leave a comment:

• P3K_ADC_Eng
    replied
    User define structures is in the works. It is currently under development.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X