EA3-T4CL C-more mlcro
    Stride SE2-SW5U-T unmanaged switch
    IOGear GWU637 Ethernet/Wifi adapter
    Laptop computer

P1K connected to Switch
    C-more micro connected to Switch
    Wifi adapter connected to Switch
    Laptop computer connected to Switch

OK, so I've I followed THIS video for setup and read THIS thread to confirm my settings are correct. But while using a Gmail account to email from, I get the error message, "failed to get server address (-285)".

I am a loss as to what to do next or what I'm doing wrong. I definitely have Gmail setup to operate from unknown devices.

I know the IOGear Wifi adapter works, as I have the built-in Wifi adapter of my laptop disabled, and I can send emails from Gmail's email editor from the laptop through the IOGear adapter.

This is all part of a test rig that our company would like to remain portable so it can email from anywhere in the plant, and not be tied down to a wired Ethernet connection.

Any ideas?
    Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Did you enable your Gmail account to allow "less secure applications" as noted in Help file P142?

Click image for larger version

Name:	emal.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	120640

Also make sure the time on the plc is set per this note. It is a different error though

Name:	emal2.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	120641

Comment

Originally posted by techme View Post
      Did you enable your Gmail account to allow "less secure applications" as noted in Help file P142?

Name:	emal.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	120640

Also make sure the time on the plc is set per this note. It is a different error though

Name:	emal2.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	120641
      Yes on both accounts.

- Walt Disney

Comment

What DNS server addresses are you using? Can you email through the wifi adapter with something else? Say your cell phone with the cell service turned off and connected to the adapter?

Comment

The email does need the DNS set, seemingly even if you use a specific IP as the address instead of a URL. You said you read that other thread but can you confirm your DNS is set? Your error message seems to indicate it is a DNS issue from the "failed to get server address"
          8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are free google DNS servers. If you are using GMail then I would use those since they are very unlikely to ever be down, and if they are down then GMail would also most likely be experiencing issues too.

Other free DNS servers are 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4 for Level1, 1.1.1.1 for Cloudflare (has AV scanning and privacy ensured), and 9.9.9.9 for Quad9 (also has AV scanning and is private as well).

The other thing I am wondering is about your wifi adapter. You said you already verified that you can send email from the laptop connected to the switch, but I just want to verify that the laptop was connected to the switch and the wifi adapter was also connected to the switch over ethernet while you did this?
          That is an interesting little device. It is acting like a client and gives wifi to anything connected to a switch, instead of an access point and broadcasting from itself.
          Last edited by MikeN; 02-14-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
            The email does need the DNS set, seemingly even if you use a specific IP as the address instead of a URL. You said you read that other thread but can you confirm your DNS is set? Your error message seems to indicate it is a DNS issue from the "failed to get server address"
            8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are free google DNS servers. If you are using GMail then I would use those since they are very unlikely to ever be down, and if they are down then GMail would also most likely be experiencing issues too.

Other free DNS servers are 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4 for Level1, 1.1.1.1 for Cloudflare (has AV scanning and privacy ensured), and 9.9.9.9 for Quad9 (also has AV scanning and is private as well).

The other thing I am wondering is about your wifi adapter. You said you already verified that you can send email from the laptop connected to the switch, but I just want to verify that the laptop was connected to the switch and the wifi adapter was also connected to the switch over ethernet while you did this?
            That is an interesting little device. It is acting like a client and gives wifi to anything connected to a switch, instead of an access point and broadcasting from itself.
            Yes on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Yes, I can send an email via the laptop with its own WiFi turned off so that I know it is connected to the internet via the WiFi adapter.

I contacted technical support, and they had no solution either. I'm punting and going to let our IT guy figure this out. Once it's solved, I'll reply with the solution.

- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Dice View Post

Yes on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Yes, I can send an email via the laptop with its own WiFi turned off so that I know it is connected to the internet via the WiFi adapter.

I contacted technical support, and they had no solution either. I'm punting and going to let our IT guy figure this out. Once it's solved, I'll reply with the solution.
              If you already handed it off then thats fine but one other thing I would test is plugging it in to the network with a cable and testing with the wifi adapter unplugged. That way if it succeeds you know the problem is related to the wifi adapter, if it fails you know the problem is actually in the P1k setup.

Comment

I have gone through something like this before. As explained by our it department the wireless asapters have a DHCP server in them that can't be turned off and it interferes with things set up for a static IP address down stream. There are transparent wireless bridges that would have worked but IT wouldn't allow me to get one to test for fear it would mess with there network

Comment

If you have a laptop that works have you checked to make sure all of your ip settings are the same in the cpu? ( Ip subnet, default gateway, dns server addresses)

Comment

OK, the issue was IT has my workplace locked down like Fort Knox.

I had to get permissions to two dedicated IP addresses (one for the Cmore, the other for the P1K) and our compnay's DNS servers for the PLC to even be able to send out an email. This leads me to believe that if I was attempting to do it with a regular Gmail account from my house, I would have had no problems.

Internet security; it's what's for dinner... at least around here.

- Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                    X