Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Broken" help file

Hey all.

At some point my help file for Productivity has seemingly fubar'ed itself. I can open the help section (IE, right click on a coil > help) and it opens, but all of the links to the images are dead. As an example, one of the images for the TGC instruction is linked to; "C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\AutomationDirect\Produ ctivity%20Suite%203.1.0.11\data\help\P3-HELP.chm::/pro%20logo%2025px%20long.gif". The P3-HELP.chm file exists, but it's unable to reference the .gif image.

Any thoughts / help?

To add; reinstalling 3.4.1.1 did not rectify the issue. Nor did installing the latest and greatest recently released 3.4.2.2.

Comment

The Help file is compiled using a Microsoft product and the GIF's are embedded into the .CMH file.

The Size of the Help file on Disk should be around 65,301KB. It is located in /Program files(x86)/AutomationDirect/Productivity Suite {VERSION}/data/help
      If the Help file is much Larger or Smaller we would want a copy for evaluation.

1.) When was the last time you knew Help worked?
      2.) What version GUI were you using?
      3.) OS version?
      4.) Has the computer had any updates since Help last worked?
      5.) Is this computer managed by an IT department? If so have they done any updates lately.
      6.) If you directly open the Help file (From the installed location) are the GIF’s visible?
      If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by P3K_ADC_Eng View Post
        The Help file is compiled using a Microsoft product and the GIF's are embedded into the .CMH file.

The Size of the Help file on Disk should be around 65,301KB. It is located in /Program files(x86)/AutomationDirect/Productivity Suite {VERSION}/data/help
        If the Help file is much Larger or Smaller we would want a copy for evaluation.

1.) When was the last time you knew Help worked?
        2.) What version GUI were you using?
        3.) OS version?
        4.) Has the computer had any updates since Help last worked?
        5.) Is this computer managed by an IT department? If so have they done any updates lately.
        6.) If you directly open the Help file (From the installed location) are the GIF’s visible?
        1 - I can't give a good answer, I don't often have to refer to it.
        2.0 - I have numerous versions installed; 2.4.22, 3.1.0.11, 3.2.4.1, 3.3.0.17, 3.4.0.16, 3.4.1.1, 3.4.2.2.
        2.1 - When the help file opens, it shows V3.4 110918
        3 - Win 10 Pro
        4 - Very likely?
        5 - No
        6 - No

Upon a little further investigation, this seems to be system wide on all of my help files. My EA9 help file exhibits the same behavior. I'll update if I come across anything.

Comment

try looking at properties of the .chm. maybe unblock them
          as shown here

even so, unblocking one file still doesn't explain the system-wide failure to render .chm files

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
            try looking at properties of the .chm. maybe unblock them
            as shown here

even so, unblocking one file still doesn't explain the system-wide failure to render .chm files
            Unfortunately that option isn't even there on mine (likely because it wasn't copied from another machine). I came across that a little bit ago (I've been at this for over an hour this morning). I also found some commands to re-register some dll's, which also hasn't fixed anything.

Comment

1.) Does the Help file work as expected in one of the other installed versions?
              2.) What is the size of the Help file on his disk?
              3.) Can you post a copy of the .CMH file off your PC?

If all of the Help files from the older releases are broken, that would indicate a possible Windows update caused the issue?

If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

social.technet.microsoft shows many things as a fix for this.

One member said that reinstalling MS Internet Explorer fixed it for him.

Comment

Originally posted by P3K_ADC_Eng View Post
                  1.) Does the Help file work as expected in one of the other installed versions?
                  2.) What is the size of the Help file on his disk?
                  3.) Can you post a copy of the .CMH file off your PC?

If all of the Help files from the older releases are broken, that would indicate a possible Windows update caused the issue?

1 - No
                  2 - 66,871,296 bytes
                  3 - I could, but...

There is clearly something wrong with Windows, definitely not an AD issue. I didn't realize that until after I made the post. I screwed around with various fixes for 2 hours this morning to no avail.

I was able to get a kludgy workaround by installing Sumatra PDF and using that to open it. Every now and then I need to reference how an instruction works for those that I don't use all too often.

kewakl , I've been through all of those. My help file is on a local drive, so the network issues don't apply. I have no installed IE though, I'll give that a go.

Comment

Uninstalled IE 11, rebooted, reinstalled IE 11. No change.

She's been a great machine for the last 5 years that I've owned her. She's traveled hundred of thousands of miles and I've never had to re-install Windows, something I can't say for any previous machines. I've been looking to replace her as she's getting a little long in the tooth with her 4th gen i7 and only dual 256gb SSD's, which are at capacity. Seems silly to throw any money in to her, especially since I've been looking at the Precision 5530 for a little while now. i9, 1.5tb SSD, 64gb of RAM and a sweet, sweet 4k display.

I'll post video of this one getting put out to pasture with some .40 and 30-06 when it happens

Comment

Working...
                    X