P2 Development Tool Ladder Display Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2 Development Tool Ladder Display Question

I'm new to the Productivity series and am on my first project with it.
    As I program certain things -often inexplicably- cause a rung to do something moronic. Like it might grow 2 inches to the right shoving its coil out into the right-side weeds. This can happen even with gobs of 'contact' area still free.

I try, with only limited success, to fix the mess by cutting out all the free contact space and then having to remove the coil and stick it on the back of the now shortened contact line. Often it ignores my attempts re-screwing things up or generating compile errors.

With CLICK this type stuff gets corrected on a compile where things sort of reformat in the process. This certainly doesn't occur with Productivity. Even closing and re-opening the project brings all the mayhem right back with all its gruesome undesired horizontal scrolling.

Is there a way to 'reformat' or 'clean up' in the Productivity IDE?

Still torturing me...

He's and example of the madness, all those coils jammed way out to the right. only a single contact in the rung!! Any way to force a fixed rung length?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Productivity IDE mess.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	123425

Comment

Go to Tools>Options
      select Ladder tab
      Size options in the upper right hand corner of dialog
      set default rung length and check the optimize rung length box
      When you compile it should remove some of he columns

If you search "delete columns" in the help file it should find the help topic to assist you.

Comment

IMNCTRL! That! Was exactly what I needed. Huge thanks.

Comment

You *might* be doing ctrl+right arrow at the end of a rung and it will then add another column to the right. This could be the "why" for this happening. Other ways to add columns would be to right click -> insert -> column. Those are the only ways I know of to get into the situation you find yourself in.

You can right click -> delete -> column to remove one from the rung you are in. You could do this throughout your project until it looks "proper" again and then go from there.

Typically for me I use 6 columns or less on the majority of my rungs and programs in general. There have been a couple programs I used 14 columns and 7 sub-rungs though I love the complexity that Productivity allows you to do on a single rung of code. I remember a couple times running into issues in DirectSoft where it told me I cant make something that complex with so many "AND / OR-ing" and had to break down my logic into three rungs of code. I did the same thing in productivity and it let me do it and more on a single rung. Havent found something so complex yet that the software wouldn't do it.
          Last edited by MikeN; 06-17-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
            Havent found something so complex yet that the software wouldn't do it.
            Have you tried to get it to remember your print setup? j/k

Comment

You *might* be doing ctrl+right arrow at the end of a rung and it will then add another column to the right. This could be the "why" for this happening. Other ways to add columns would be to right click -> insert -> column. Those are the only ways I know of to get into the situation you find yourself in.
              LOL. Nope, I'd have at least seen THOSE correlations.
              I clearly remember adding a MATH statement which of course grew that line dramatically but it was the following lines who's coils insisted on being about two columns farther to the right of the MATH box above.

You can right click -> delete -> column to remove one from the rung you are in. You could do this throughout your project until it looks "proper" again and then go from there.
              Thanks. That works well!! Straight 'Delete', of course, leaves the long lines in place.

Typically for me I use 6 columns or less on the majority of my rungs and programs in general. There have been a couple programs I used 14 columns and 7 sub-rungs though I love the complexity that Productivity allows you to do on a single rung of code. I remember a couple times running into issues in DirectSoft where it told me I cant make something that complex with so many "AND / OR-ing" and had to break down my logic into three rungs of code. I did the same thing in productivity and it let me do it and more on a single rung. Havent found something so complex yet that the software wouldn't do it.
              Yikes! I usually just end a rung on a coil "WRAP_01" and it's the first contact of the very next line. Not clear how I'd pull that off with a subrung'd line that's 15 or so also.. eeuw.

I'm new to Productivity, having done dozens of CLICK jobs. You can overload those rungs pretty easily.

Comment

Have you tried to get it to remember your print setup? j/k
                Man, I haven't tried print dabbling at all yet. The problems PC printers have makes me shudder at the thought of adding a PLC into that mix..

Comment

Something I miss from CLICK land is the ease of commenting a rung. With the CLICK it's duck-soup easy. I love how you can easily change text font/color/underline/bold/SIZE/etc too. I lean heavily on that ability, putting in notes in RED that are alerts like "TEST THIS" or "Temporarily disabled", stuff like that. Then I use subdued colors for general line by line commenting. Often I put large multi page/NOP rungs worth of comments at the top of a program laying out fundamental details that are important.

I need this as I may write a PLC out in the sticks running a water filtration plant or something and it runs flawlessly for half a decade or more before someone wants a modification of some sort. I then have to try to get my head around the whole thing years later. Very VERY nice to have the logic heavily commented with color coding.

With Productivity that functionality doesn't seem very intact. Seems like a weak afterthought really. Not lovin that at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X