Retentive Variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retentive Variables

Seems my P2 program keeps the retentive values across power cycles but forgets them all across program updates. Without any switches flipped in Tools>Options>Program Transfer is this what's expected?

Should I check both the Copy and Upload boxes to keep my retentive values across program updates?

Yes for stop mode transfers. Please refer to help topic P082 under Project Transfer Tab.

Run time transfers do not effect retentive values.
    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team.

AutomationDirect.com Technical Support: 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200 Email Tech Support

Comment

Interesting, thanks for the info.. Makes sense.
      Thanks again P3K!

Comment

Yeah, It's unfortunate that those settings are not enabled by default as in an industrial environment, it's extremely risky.

Imagine some sort of crisis and you get someone in the middle of the night to log into the PLC but they just installed Productivity Suite and didn't enable those settings... welp, they just wiped out all retentive tags... guess you can scrap that production run... and potentially a ton of parameters that dialed in the machine mechanics.
        Small things like this make a huge difference.

I hope the development team takes note and changes the settings to be enabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by JulesTop View Post
          Yeah, It's unfortunate that those settings are not enabled by default as in an industrial environment, it's extremely risky.

Imagine some sort of crisis and you get someone in the middle of the night to log into the PLC but they just installed Productivity Suite and didn't enable those settings... welp, they just wiped out all retentive tags... guess you can scrap that production run... and potentially a ton of parameters that dialed in the machine mechanics.
          Small things like this make a huge difference.

I hope the development team takes note and changes the settings to be enabled by default.
          Or maybe this could be stored in the project on a per-project basis. Then it would not matter if Bubba just installed the suite the uploaded project would have the desired config.

Comment

Excellent points gentlemen! The project I'm working on has 4 measly rententives so I just re-entered them every time about 8 times until I could focus on the annoyance of the problem. I didn't think about a project with a couple of hundred retentives, a couple of them maybe arrived at by some long drawn-out calibration process.. All of them being pasted by an upload. That would be a catastrophe in some cases. Thanks for bringing that bigger picture up.

I agree - they should default to save and upload.

BTW I don't recall having this problem with all my CLICK projects. Could CLICK have this as the default?

Comment

In a click DS. DD, DH and DF default to retentive. Depending on sw ver, TXT may be retentive by default.
              Each register can be retentive or not.
              look in Tag Picker at the Retentive column.
              [edit spellin']
              Last edited by kewakl; 08-05-2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

When doing a runtime transfer the retentive are not affected. When doing a stop mode transfer, by default doesnt it already ask you whether to keep the values or zero them out? Why go through the trouble of defaulting to always keep them when the choice comes up on its own and is just one button click? Also it is the first button in the row and is highlighted by default. So if you are just hitting enter a bunch it will save the retentive values.

Comment

If I had one wish for P-suite (besides user defined data), it would be for it to store the values to all the registers in the offline project, just like RSLogix. This way when you do get the Bubba call, you can tell him from your copy of the offline project, what the value(s) are supposed to be for each register.
                  Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Hi kewakl;
                    I see the default retentives in the CLICK. Includes a bunch of timers too.

MikeN;
                    Good point. Just press The Right Button.

Todd Dice;
                    An excellent idea.

My also P-Suite wish would be individual line comment formatting so I could change comment colors at will.
                    Last edited by kcress; 08-05-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X