Tying software to a serial number on a P2000 Cmore system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying software to a serial number on a P2000 Cmore system

Is it possible? I don't see any kind of serial number available in the system registers, but thought I'd ask. The intent is to prevent duplication while allowing for backups and upgrades via uSD.

Is there another way to do this? We've done activation passcodes that were date based in the past. It involved creating an integer from the date, reversing the bits of the binary equivalent of that integer, xor those bits with a hash we determined. The result is compared to a user entered code in order to activate the product. In that case, the code to activate the product changes every day, but an unscrupulous individual could still create multiple systems and duplicate them all on the same day.

RE: Enabling/disabling PLC activation

In other PLC forums, this has been a contentious subject.
    I do not recall any related discussions on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by litebrite2001 View Post
      Is it possible? I don't see any kind of serial number available in the system registers, but thought I'd ask. The intent is to prevent duplication while allowing for backups and upgrades via uSD.

Is there another way to do this? We've done activation passcodes that were date based in the past. It involved creating an integer from the date, reversing the bits of the binary equivalent of that integer, xor those bits with a hash we determined. The result is compared to a user entered code in order to activate the product. In that case, the code to activate the product changes every day, but an unscrupulous individual could still create multiple systems and duplicate them all on the same day.
      Do-More has a system heap item containing a serial or for Ethernet units, the MAC address. P2K might have a serial with the Ethernet port like that, you could check. Siemens will allow IP protection by locking to either the CPU or to the SD card. Locking to the SD card rather than to the CPU allows portable activations, replace bad CPU, etc. If P2K can read the SD card serial (and assuming that doesn't get duplicated if they image the card), you could base copy protection on that, checking periodically at runtime to make sure the SD card is inserted.

Comment

From your original post and replies I am not 100% what you are looking to do, but:

If you are trying to have a project on the P2 that no one can upload and copy, but can still be updated via uSD look at Help topic P028 in the Productivity Suite sw help file. Scroll down to "Binary only for removable Media Project Load.

Per the help file:
        It is now possible for an OEM to download a file from Removable Media without the .adpro file. This will keep unwanted users from having the ability to connect with the GUI and view ladder code. In addition, they will not be able to transfer from the CPU to pen drive thus protecting the OEM source code.

Comment

Originally posted by techme View Post
          From your original post and replies I am not 100% what you are looking to do, but:

If you are trying to have a project on the P2 that no one can upload and copy, but can still be updated via uSD look at Help topic P028 in the Productivity Suite sw help file. Scroll down to "Binary only for removable Media Project Load.

Per the help file:
          If the client has this uSD card, they can load the project into another cpu.
          i think that is one thing op wishes to avoid.

I dont remember if the id querying functions return uniquely identifiable info about cpu...
          like mac or serial.

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post

If the client has this uSD card, they can load the project into another cpu.
            i think that is one thing op wishes to avoid.

I dont remember if the id querying functions return uniquely identifiable info about cpu...
            like mac or serial.
            That is correct. The customer may not have the ladder and comments, but duplicating wiring and then just copying the uSD is pretty darn easy... especially when we will be giving them the wiring diagram.

While the PLC S/N and MAC address are viewable from Productivity Suite, they don't appear to have been brought out to tags. That would make this a cinch as each uSD would be tied to a unique hardware identifier.

Comment

Working...
            X