Reading USB devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading USB devices?

I have a project where I want to connect up a number of (already purchased) USB scales to a Productivity 2000 PLC. Have others worked with PLCs communicating with USB serial devices?

Do these PLCs even support serial over USB? I thought the USB was for datalogging and project upload.

Comment

The USB port is only for progamming. Another way to phrase this question is - how do people handle USB devices in the field?

I have some ideas, but I don't love any of them:
      • Purchase a USB server from Amazon to upgrade to ethernet (feels cheap)
      • Install a raspberry pi and use as an ethernet upgrader (extra config, lacks long-term reliability)
      • USB to serial downgrader, then to the Productivity's RJ12 (can't find a downgrader)

Comment

Do you have the model number of the scales? i am using an adafruit M4 express to do some conversions.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3857

Comment

Interesting! They're Manibea Intec floor scales, and they communicate with the Scale Manufacturer's Association Protocol.

I found some extra serial cables (their DB40 to DB9) so I'm going to run with those for now. I'm surprised there's no easy way to support USB with the PLC, although, at the same time, this is the first time I've run into it.

Thanks for the offer though!

Comment

Originally posted by patrickfuller View Post
            Interesting! They're Manibea Intec floor scales, and they communicate with the Scale Manufacturer's Association Protocol.

I found some extra serial cables (their DB40 to DB9) so I'm going to run with those for now. I'm surprised there's no easy way to support USB with the PLC, although, at the same time, this is the first time I've run into it.

Thanks for the offer though!
            the PLC doesn't have an operating system like a PC an most USB systems require the host to have some sort of driver to know what to do with the device. things like keyboard mice and thumb drives have drivers that are somewhat standard across most makes & models so sometimes PLC and HMIs can use those

Comment

Working...
            X