Productivity 2000 and Basler Modbus Coms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Productivity 2000 and Basler Modbus Coms

I can normally figure out most basic modbus coms but this one has left me confused what its looking to be passed or how. I have tried everything I can in the modbus write functions with no luck. Its probably something dumb I'm over looking.

Basler modbus list shows the following
    Name Description Group Register Type Bytes R/W Unit Range
    Coms Control Group Run Mode GG 5518 Uint32 4 R W n/a Trigger=1
    I've tried different functions, data types and format to pass it a "1". I've received 01:ILLEGAL FUN or 03:ILL DATA VAL

Any help would be appreciated.

It may be helpful to see your PLC code. I'm assuming you're using a Modbus Write instruction?
    Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasDcOps View Post

I've tried different functions, data types and format to pass it a "1". I've received 01:ILLEGAL FUN or 03:ILL DATA VAL

Any help would be appreciated.
      Both exceptions code using the same value? Well, maybe we can take comfort that the errors were returned - maybe this indicates that the cabling is good.
      Serial or ethernet?

Add/subtract '1' from 5518.
      What numeric base is this 5518?

btw, I am not creating a basler account just to download the manuals.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	125238
        Attached Files

Comment

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	125240

Comment

Its modbus TCP, I can get other data from this unit without issue.

Comment

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	125243

Comment

With the other MRX/MWX that work correctly, is the slave node 1? Default is 255 unless going thru a server/bridge type devices.
                Is 32-bit to 16-bit mapping the same? is word swap the same?
                Is there any other param required before you can use this register to remotely enter/exit RUN mode?

Comment

Is "test5" tag a Int32 data type?

Comment

Instead of trying to write to it, you might try reading a single register first at that same modbus address. That may help you to figure out if bytes or words are swapped. Then try writing that same value back as a single register (instead of multiple registers).

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                      Is "test5" tag a Int32 data type?
                      Yes it is Mike
                      OkiePC I can read the register and get a 0 with no errors but the status of the register never seems to changed based on operation.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasDcOps View Post

Yes it is Mike
                        OkiePC I can read the register and get a 0 with no errors but the status of the register never seems to changed based on operation.
                        Are you saying that even when the Run Mode is changed, that the data stays zero? That makes me think that you may have a zero-based versus one-based addressing issue. Try reading 6 words starting with 5516. Set it up to repeatedly perform the read, then change the Run Mode and observe the results. When dealing with Modbus, I have found a handful of instances where the documentation was ambiguous, and trial and error was required to sort out the truth.

Comment

I figured it out, Somewhere in a unrelated area of the basler menu is a area to set the privilege for modbus write commands.....

Comment

As I asked about in post #8

Comment

Yeah it wasn't very clear where it was, took a lot RTFMing

Comment

Working...
                              X