X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeN
    replied
    Originally posted by Todd Dice View Post
    You and PLCNut have been strong advocates of DoMore and there have been moments when I wished I could, but their outputs just can't handle much current (1/2-amp @ 24VDC) so that's been the stumbling block. I build packaging machines, and for some systems, using a relay output module is not an option due to our ability to reach the mechanical life of the relay module in 2-years time.
    While it potentially adds a lot to the cost of building a machine, they do make solid state signal relays that let you use higher current devices:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/8299K12

AD sells something similar, but they take up twice as much space and cost twice as much. Though they do have even higher current ratings:
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...-hssr815-dc-05
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...-hssr808-dc-15
    Last edited by MikeN; 11-05-2019, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Todd Dice
    replied
    Originally posted by ControlsGuy View Post

Come on over to Do-More land -- the water's fine!
    You and PLCNut have been strong advocates of DoMore and there have been moments when I wished I could, but their outputs just can't handle much current (1/2-amp @ 24VDC) so that's been the stumbling block. I build packaging machines, and for some systems, using a relay output module is not an option due to our ability to reach the mechanical life of the relay module in 2-years time.

Leave a comment:

• kewakl
    replied
    Originally posted by ControlsGuy View Post

We've had this discussion

We are considering using P1K for controls and 'comms' to another platform L a b j a c k (oem variants) for analog in. We have a Proof of Concept build that seems to work well.
    We have enough usage/life data to have a comfort level with these devices.
    For a comparably configured system, considering the new pricing scheme, I can shave stupid cost off the hardware alone. -- and get updates at whatever speed scantime and ethernet allows, instead of the ~112mS update of the P3-16AD-2 -- and higher resolution -- all if needed.

Leave a comment:

• ControlsGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by kewakl View Post
    Jan 2018 price $799
    Nov 2019 price $1155

I think that you may have just priced this out of my consideration.
    Intended consequence?

[edit] from this undated document : the price was $827

Leave a comment:

• Todd Dice
    replied
    Originally posted by kewakl View Post

Yeah, I know. Buy a lamp for a PV550. A lamp, not the integrated backlight. The last time I checked it was north of $200.
    We have one customer who has legacy AB PLCs, and we use EBay to get him parts.

Leave a comment:

• kewakl
    replied

Allen-Bradley does this, all. the. time.
    Yeah, I know. Buy a lamp for a PV550. A lamp, not the integrated backlight. The last time I checked it was north of $200.

Leave a comment:

• Todd Dice
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeN View Post
    Thats insane.

I have noticed AD do this before with older and unpopular CPUs that it seems like they are trying to phase out in a way of getting people to move to different products. I noticed it on the DirectLogic side before this in years past.
    Allen-Bradley does this, all. the. time.

Leave a comment:

• kewakl
    replied
    lol. They probably released just an LCD replacement because something like 99% of P3 CPUs have their LCDs go bad. It would be nice if that new one was an OLED display like the P2 that actually works.
    ^

Can I 'LIKE' this more times?

Leave a comment:

• MikeN
    replied
    lol. They probably released just an LCD replacement because something like 99% of P3 CPUs have their LCDs go bad. It would be nice if that new one was an OLED display like the P2 that actually works.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon_
    replied
    Apparently this board does not support emoticons, as that is definitely not the emoticon that I used.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon_
    replied
    Or maybe they released that knowing the full CPU will no longer be available ‍♂️

Leave a comment:

• kewakl
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon_ View Post

^ This.

kewakl , I'd probably be giving AD a call to see if they're planning on EOL'ing that CPU. I know I would rather know sooner than later if I'm going to be in a forced transition.
    True.

I'm no marketing mad man, but it would be a costly chain of events to release the 'relatively new' P3-LCD only then to discontinue the product.

Leave a comment:

• kewakl
    replied
    Remanufactured model is $479.20.
    Sometimes, I question the NEW ones.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon_
    replied
    Thats insane.

I have noticed AD do this before with older and unpopular CPUs that it seems like they are trying to phase out in a way of getting people to move to different products. I noticed it on the DirectLogic side before this in years past.
    ^ This.

kewakl , I'd probably be giving AD a call to see if they're planning on EOL'ing that CPU. I know I would rather know sooner than later if I'm going to be in a forced transition.

Leave a comment:

• Todd Dice
    replied
    Remanufactured model is $479.20.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X