C-More Feature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-More Feature

Is there a reason why the text entry does not have hand shaking? I need to know when someone enters text in the box. I am going to try and put a hidden button behind the text entry to see what happens.

I have never used text entry but I see it is tied to a tag name. I would assume whatever you enter goes into a tag in the PLC, which means you can easily do a check in your code to see when the text changes.

Comment

Yes it is tied to a tag. Comparing is not that easy as you might thing since acsii is involved. I spend over an hour to work around this. The program is writing to arrays. Unlike numbers, when enter is pressed the handshaking bits load the value in the proper location. The work around is I added another button the user will press to add the new entry. If they do not it will not be added. Hard to say what all is going on but a hand shaking feature would be nice so when some one enters an ascii, text, the plc would know and automatically add it to the array stack.
      So my question is still why can not text entry have hand shaking like number entry does?

Comment

What PLC are you using?

Comment

I am using the Do-More Software. I tried using the string compare function but that did not go as planned.

Comment

Im not much of a D-More guy since it is far too confusing IMO and much more complicated to do most of the things I want, but I went into the program and put together two different ideas for how to detect is a string changes on the HMI. The first two rungs are with the compare string instruction, which may not work since you said you tried it already. The second two rungs basically convert the string into a hex number every scan and then you just compare the hex data to a "check bit" of hex data in a second memory address. If a new string is entered then the hex data changes and so the check address wont be the same and so it will pulse an internal contact and copy the hex data into the check address.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StringCompare.png
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	108013

Comment

Thanks for your replay. I used just the string print and string compare functions and it works. I was using it in several spots in my program. I had to unclick the options in all the places i was using print string. It it important that all those places have the same options selected. I got it to work the way I wanted. LIke most thing done in D0More it was quite simple once i had the settings right.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                Im not much of a D-More guy since it is far too confusing IMO and much more complicated to do most of the things I want
                A major point of focus in recent Do-more development has been to to work on intuitiveness, something that we readily acknowledge hasn't been a strength. Would you care to elaborate on what kinds of things you find confusing and complicated? In most cases, users have a very high degree of satisfaction with it once they get through the learning curve, and it is invaluable to us to understand what parts of it trip users up.

Comment

Originally posted by a agnone View Post
                  LIke most thing done in D0More it was quite simple once i had the settings right.
                  "Ease of use" is very different than "ease of understanding", something we've only recently figured out. Do-more is extremely powerful and even very easy to use...once you understand it.

The funny thing is the option that you tripped on was added to make it easier to use. It greatly simplifies the print script for users who just want to print a bunch of elements, but this same issue happens pretty often.

Comment

I have been learning the hard way that as soon as I am told something is intuitive, it really means something entirely different to me, mostly that there is no manual and no help available and it must be intuitive because it is so hard to explain.

There are many programs I find easy to use, but if I step back and take a fresh look at them, as if I had never seen them before...

Even Do-more Designer requires me to stop and think (or look in the help files {which are VERY good [except for the occasional typos ]} if I have been out of it for a few months.

Comment

We've always been focused on putting the most functionality into the smallest space. There is an inherent complexity to flexibility and power, so you are constantly asking whether you should or should not add particular thing. Sometimes 'no' is the best answer, and this is at the heart of why Click is successful. I describe it this way: Arrange 20 things on a table. Is it easy to find what you need? Now arrange 200 on the same table. How about now? On the other hand, those 20 things greatly limit what you can do. If you are content with every screw being a 2" 8-32 panhead, that approach works. For many applications that's a fine choice, but for others, you're going to need more. Probably shouldn't be spending 20 hours of engineering time trying to force the $69 PLC to things it wasn't designed to do.

The recent revelation for us has been in understanding that 90% of our users aren't really experts, they are what we refer to as "perpetual intermediates". They know how to use the product, but they don't use it often enough to remember all the small details. That's where we've been trying to improve, asking constantly how we can make things more obvious. The Dashboard was the first major attempt at that and it will certainly not be the last.

The whole "ease of use" vs "ease of understanding" epiphany was pretty big for us. There are very few things in Do-more that I would consider hard...once you know...but we are just coming to realize that we can do a much better job of getting you there.

Comment

HI Bobo,
                        It is not so much the functions them self as it is understanding the language or terms being used. In each box there are options which I do not understand them or how to set them. So on the one hand yea string print is a great tool, but I did not know what exactly the options would do or which ones I wanted to select or unselect. Sometimes it seems so silly the things i miss, then once they are explained, it is wow, that is so easy. I did not do much with strings until the Do-More came out. I always stayed away from them. But now it is like, I need to use this. You created so many functions to make it fun/easy to work with strings. So not having much knowledge about using strings made it a little frustrating trying to use the functions. So it wasn't the software it was my lack of knowledge. I do not tend to give up and having these forums is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by a agnone View Post
                          I do not tend to give up and having these forums is the best.
                          And that is why we spend as much time on here and Host's forum as we do. It's helpful to both you and us.

Comment

STRINGs are very powerful in regards to HMI, because STRINGs by definition are textual representations of data in a PLC. STRINGs can make data human readable - one of the key functions of an HMI.

One key advantage of using STRINGs in regards to HMI status reporting is that if the HMI software does not quite format your data exactly how you like it, STRPRINT's scripting language along with other PLC instructions provide the capability that can get you exactly what you want. Just replace the existing screen tag with an SS string that you formatted precisely using STRPRINT. Left/right/center justification, leading zeroes, ip address format, resolution of a timer accumulator, lookup text, et. al. are all built-in functions in the STRPRINT script language. Look at Help Topic DmD0168 String Scripting Language Reference for all the details.
                            There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by BobO View Post

A major point of focus in recent Do-more development has been to to work on intuitiveness, something that we readily acknowledge hasn't been a strength. Would you care to elaborate on what kinds of things you find confusing and complicated? In most cases, users have a very high degree of satisfaction with it once they get through the learning curve, and it is invaluable to us to understand what parts of it trip users up.
                              Mostly what you already have said, the ease of understanding is not quite there yet. The learning curve is high. Once learned it becomes easy, but the initial hurdle is quite something. Do-More has so many advanced instructions to do all sorts of things, but often those instructions arent really clear in how to use them and the settings within those instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X