Industrial UPS options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Industrial UPS options

Industrial UPS is a becoming a more critical necessity in both operations where I work. Standard office UPSs shoehorned into control cabinets are not reliable enough. Here's a link to the ones from Meanwell that we are currently looking at: http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/Data...UPS40-spec.pdf Any inside info from the group here about what offerings may be in the pipeline from AD? Other options?
    Vorsprung durch Technik

Yeah, quite a few people have redundant and UPS DC systems for industrial. The problem is finding a 120V one. AB has a couple and I think APC has two at different power levels, industrial package and mount on DIN rail, terminals instead of NEMA outlets for power, etc. Problem is exorbitant price and they're not online (full time charge and invert). They all feed through till the AC dies, then switch over with a relay, so there's a bump. For that price, or preferably a lot less, I want an online unit.

As far as Mean Well is concerned, I've used a LOT of their DC supplies with never a problem. I have some in the field approaching 15 years in fairly extreme environments, and I don't think I've had a single failure, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by ControlsGuy View Post
      As far as Mean Well is concerned, I've used a LOT of their DC supplies with never a problem. I have some in the field approaching 15 years in fairly extreme environments, and I don't think I've had a single failure, ever.
      I have had some MW PSUs that just keep going, and some that don't.
      15 years is impressive for a lower budget PSU - in any environment.

As Henke mentioned, I have shoehorned a 450W UPS in several controls enclosures. It 'works' but reliability/longevity is questionable.
      I usually cut/strip the pigtail, wire the pigtail into the incoming service TB. Then use the cutoff part of the pigtail to connect the UPS back to the power TB. Nothing to trash - until I replace the UPS.
      Office UPS has almost ZERO interconnect for alarm/health/status... There is the frankenport (USB<->RJ cable with 30awg wires) for Powerchute. What PLC supports that?

Comment

Currently, we do offer the PSM24-BCM360S battery control module and the Product Engineer just informed me that we do have more options in the works that we hope to have available soon. As always, thanks for posts.
        https://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../PSM24-BCM360S
        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team at 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200. Thank you

Comment

Last year I did a system going into a site with unreliable AC power. VFD's had quite a wide input voltage tolerance, as did the DC supplies (Mean Well, by the way), but there were some controls that are only readily available in 120/230V. Didn't really need UPS, but I did want to do voltage regulation. I ended up with the redneck solution -- 960W Puls 48V DC PWS with very wide input tolerance, 80-265V or something like that, feeding a pure sine inverter! Where there's a will, there's a way. Necessity's a mother.

Comment

redneck solution -- 960W Puls 48V DC PWS with very wide input tolerance, 80-265V or something like that, feeding a pure sine inverter
            That's a cool method that I would also definitely use to produce clean power. Similar to what we'd do here using a Samlex PST-1000-24 fed from a small battery bank/charger.

Pictured here is another system we used with a PULS UB10.242 that we used as a 10A 24VDC UPS on a 12V 17Ah gel cel works really well:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PULS.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	109803
            Attached Files
            Vorsprung durch Technik

Comment

Originally posted by bdehner View Post
              Currently, we do offer the PSM24-BCM360S battery control module and the Product Engineer just informed me that we do have more options in the works that we hope to have available soon. As always, thanks for posts.
              https://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../PSM24-BCM360S

The PSM24-BCM360S coupled with the PSM24-360S power supply and a pair of suitable batteries such as these: https://www.google.com/search?q=LC-RD1217P looks like it would make a very nice 15A 24V DC UPS.
              Vorsprung durch Technik

Comment

Working...
              X