GS2 drive and CLICK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS2 drive and CLICK

I want to like the CLICK line. I really do. The price is right, and they even come with Ethernet now. But I can't use them; there's scant documentation regarding controlling a GS2 with a CLICK over RS232. What documentation there is (only in the GS1 manual, apparently) is a confusing mess, and even states "not for use in the real world." The interlocking is such a pain to debug the last time I had to do this, I ended up using discrete I/O because CLICK --> GS2 COMs just never worked.

How about some high quality documentation, and perhaps some functioning example code? Example code exists for the DL series, but not CLICK.

Even better, give the CLICK the option to use iBoxes, and eliminate all that manual interlocking of COMs read/write that makes the code such a mess to debug. iBoxes work great on the DL-series PLCs and were a godsend when controlling GS drives; I have almost a dozen GS drives and DL PLCs spread over multiple systems running for years without a hitch.

It almost feels like the CLICK was released before the documentation was ready, and no one ever got around to finish writing it completely. Perhaps that's a function of its price point? I want to use the CLICK, and I feel like at some point the DL series will go end-of-life; I just can't get COM's with the CLICK to work, and that's a dealbreaker. I posted regarding this almost 2-1/2 years ago, and... crickets. It's really unfortunate. Any chance some documentation, sample code, and iBoxes are coming for the CLICK?

-Ryan Poethke

Since you are familiar with DL, I'd switch to BRX.

Comment

The BRX is for sure the way to go if possible.

I have not used RS232 for Click to GS2 Drives, but use RS485 modbus communication regularly.
      This does add about $20 for the click with the three terminal RS485 connection.

The interlocking of comms is for sure complicated when using contacts handing off one to another.
      My approach is to use a status number that is incremented after successful communication.

Activate a single Send / Receive command with a comparative contact for the status number and that particular communication.
      When there is a problem with the communication, the number will tell where the problem lies. Watching the number in status mode will also show when there is a delay at a certain spot.

The receiving bits for all the comms are sequential and are packed into a hex number. When the number is zero, nothing is communicating and then it allows the next communication to take place.
      When the last comm completes, the next status number is set to one to start over.

Using the number also allows for some comm steps to be left out or brought forward if communications are getting slow from many communications or drives.
      Drive start, stop, reference given priority over a HMI display value.

Very simple drive modbus code attached. Ran as a sub program.
      Attached Files

Comment

Do-more PLCs (which includes BRX) can also "natively" support all the GS drives via the GSEDRV100 module via its Ethernet I/O capabilities (similar to how the various EBC100 slaves that DL supports via ERM module). The control for the GS Drive is done "passively" by the I/O scan, updating/interfacing to GS Drive data structure (e.g. structure members like .OutputFrequency and .Direction):
        Click image for larger version

Name:	GSEDRV100a.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	113276

For most installations, there is no programming necessary. However, if there are any Px.x GS drive parameters that are not included in that structure that you need to read/write (e.g. for configuration at power-up), utilize the GSREGRD and GSREGWRITE instructions. Do-more Designer's instruction editors list out ALL the Px.x parameter details for each model (GS1 vs. GS2 vs. GS3 vs. GS4).

Here is a nice introduction video on how to integrate GS drives to a Do-more PLC using the GSEDRV100 module. It shows how easy it is to configure, monitor, and manipulate your drive with your Do-more PLC:

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who do not.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerR View Post
          The BRX is for sure the way to go if possible.

I have not used RS232 for Click to GS2 Drives, but use RS485 modbus communication regularly.
          This does add about $20 for the click with the three terminal RS485 connection.

The interlocking of comms is for sure complicated when using contacts handing off one to another.
          My approach is to use a status number that is incremented after successful communication.

Activate a single Send / Receive command with a comparative contact for the status number and that particular communication.
          When there is a problem with the communication, the number will tell where the problem lies. Watching the number in status mode will also show when there is a delay at a certain spot.

The receiving bits for all the comms are sequential and are packed into a hex number. When the number is zero, nothing is communicating and then it allows the next communication to take place.
          When the last comm completes, the next status number is set to one to start over.

Using the number also allows for some comm steps to be left out or brought forward if communications are getting slow from many communications or drives.
          Drive start, stop, reference given priority over a HMI display value.

Very simple drive modbus code attached. Ran as a sub program.
          Thanks for the sample code. I'll give the Click another look. I do like the look of the Do-More, and I want to give it a try as well.

Comment

Working...
          X