22mm selector switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22mm selector switch

Can we get some 22 mm selector switches that are not utter cr@p.
    The actuators on the non-illuminated selectors break and the illuminated switches will either break or the threaded retaining ring will unthread during normal use.
    (I have yet to try some gumming to keep this retaining -- ring -- ummm -- retained!)

not gorilla tested/gorilla approved??

Comment

Originally posted by quaizywabbit View Post
      not gorilla tested/gorilla approved??
      Obviously, not Operator Approved! And, I am talking about 50-60year old operators, so not much hand strength!
      A touch of glass-reinforcement and the central plastic barrel would probably last years!

Comment

I've had a bunch of problems with the 22mm plastic selector switches, both lever and keyed style. I probably have 100 or more of them installed and every couple of months I will walk through and find half dozen or so that the knobs have either fallen off of or spin freely and no longer operate. The switch remains in whatever state it was when the knob popped off.
        I suspect that I over tightened the set screws when I originally installed them. I have been trying to keep the replacements as loose as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by dd33 View Post
          I've had a bunch of problems with the 22mm plastic selector switches, both lever and keyed style. I probably have 100 or more of them installed and every couple of months I will walk through and find half dozen or so that the knobs have either fallen off of or spin freely and no longer operate. The switch remains in whatever state it was when the knob popped off.
          I suspect that I over tightened the set screws when I originally installed them. I have been trying to keep the replacements as loose as possible.
          I know that the AB 800T cost more, but I have had some of them in service for decades.

Another instance in which initial cost does not equal total cost.

Comment

Which series of 22mm switches are you using that keep breaking? Cutler Hammer, Schmersal, Fuji, AD plastic, or AD metal?

Comment

Is there a 22mm pushbutton, from any supplier, that isn't crappy? I think for durability, 30mm is the way to go. I know the AD illuminated E-stops have mushroom threads where the plastic is so thin, you twist to release at your own risk. I've tried the Fuji illuminated E-stops, but the fact there is no wrench available to tighten the nut makes them not the most easy to install. Eaton's, which are relabeled Klockner-Moeller are not so great either. I have a suspicion A-B's are just some rebranded European model. I think the days of having a pushbutton/selector switch that can handle millions of operations and last decades is long gone.
              Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
                Which series of 22mm switches are you using that keep breaking? Cutler Hammer, Schmersal, Fuji, AD plastic, or AD metal?
                the Italian model.
                [EDIT] ad metal GCX1300 & GCX1320-22 specifically
                Last edited by kewakl; 10-17-2018, 04:06 AM.

Comment

These two are the ones I mainly use and have trouble with. I got a report of another one "free spinning" today.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ted/GCX3470-22

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ted/GCX3320-22

Comment

Originally posted by dd33 View Post
                    These two are the ones I mainly use and have trouble with. I got a report of another one "free spinning" today.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ted/GCX3470-22

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ted/GCX3320-22
                    Wow, I have not heard of those being an issue from my customers. But this one? I got reamed a new one from one customer
                    Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. We are sorry for any issues you may be having with these switches. I have contacted the Product Manager to make him aware of the problems you are seeing. If you need further assistance or need information about warranties/returns please give us a call at (800) 633-0405. Thanks again.
                      If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team at 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200. Thank you

Comment

I can't speak to the quality of the various lines of ADC pilot devices because I don't use them, but it seems that several of you, and I've seen complaints on other threads and elsewhere, have long-standing issues with quality. If you have consistent, or at least repeated quality problems, why would you tolerate that for a minute, in your plant or on equipment you ship to customers?

I'd used some LG motor controls a few times, and selected them for use on a project back in 2015. Turns out a high percentage of the contactors either the terminal screw would become tight before gripping the conductor, or, having once been tightened, the threads would strip if you tried to loosen them. I've yet to use another LG motor control product. To me, quality is pretty much zero tolerance.

Comment

Some of have 'corporate' pressures do overcome.
                          some people think that initial cost equals total cost.
                          Lately we removed a cheap psu from use. Finally

Comment

I use Idec's and they're like $6 (HW series), and I don't think I've ever had one fail. Don't really care for the monolithic pilot lights, but the pb's and selectors are normal, separate operator and contact block design. There's probably normal lights too, I just never bothered to look into it. But to be clear, if I couldn't get a pilot device that worked reliably for less than $50, I'd pay the $50. Who cares? I don't have time to baby stuff that doesn't do what I bought it for.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" -- Benjamin Franklin
                            Last edited by ControlsGuy; 10-23-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I have used several hundred of the metal version pushbuttons and selector switches with no failures. These were in various applications and uses.
                              ADEN ENGINEERING
                              Automation & Electronic Controls

Design, Build, Repair, Training

Comment

Working...
                              X