Southwire cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwire cable

Click image for larger version  Name:	0.082mm2.png Views:	24 Size:	322.1 KB ID:	124341 Specifically V40172-1 7C/18 cut to length
    On the cable jacket it says 18 AWG (0.082MM2) 7C
    I understand the 18 AWG and the 7C, but the 0.082MM2. I'm lost. 18AWG should be closer to 0.823mm2
    The strand dimension for (16/30) does not quite match this number, either.
    I went to a online AWG-MM2 calculator and the individual stranding (16/30) would be 0.0509)

Please help me understand.
    Thanks

Below is a reference image of the previous AD offering -- 7C/18 cabling. No Southwire branding and no metric circular area spec on sheathing - at least that I could see on the viewable cable in wireduct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7c18 ref image.png
Views:	36
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	124349
    [Edit add another image (spelling fix)]
    Last edited by kewakl; 07-31-2019, 05:59 AM.

I think that they labeled the product incorrectly.
    The 0.082MM2 should be 0.82MM2 which is the cross-sectional area in square millimeters.

Regards,
    Garry

Comment

Southwire is a massive company, it seems strange they would label something incorrectly. I would imagine all marking data would be saved in printer memory for the specific line it is on.

Comment

They may have been mislabeling this wire for a long time and you're the first to see it. Either that or they just entered the job incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
          Southwire is a massive company, it seems strange they would label something incorrectly. I would imagine all marking data would be saved in printer memory for the specific line it is on.
          Yes but hopefully, the printer-based data would come directly from product spec docs -- not entered at runtime by operators.

Originally posted by Adisharr View Post
          They may have been mislabeling this wire for a long time and you're the first to see it. Either that or they just entered the job incorrectly.
          Not sure that it would be an incorrect job selection. Seems more like a engineering data entry error.

All, thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
            This was printed with a non-contact printer. Similar to a Markem Image. You can tell by the ink dots in the print.
            https://www.markem-imaje.ca/
            Yes, this can be stored in the printer, but can also be on the network and downloaded when required.
            It can easily be changed so would be prone to more errors than a print wheel.
            The E75755 on the second example is the code also for Southwire.
            SOUTHWIRE CO E75755
            1 SOUTHWIRE DR
            CARROLLTON, GA 30119-4400 USA

The other option for printing on the wire is with a print wheel.
            http://www.gemgravure.com/coding-mar...int-wheels.asp
            Your print would be fixed to the legend on the wheel. The print would be solid.

Just some thoughts,
            Garry

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post

This was printed with a non-contact printer. Similar to a Markem Image. You can tell by the ink dots in the print.
              https://www.markem-imaje.ca/
              Yes, this can be stored in the printer, but can also be on the network and downloaded when required.
              It can easily be changed so would be prone to more errors than a print wheel.
              The E75755 on the second example is the code also for Southwire.
              SOUTHWIRE CO E75755
              1 SOUTHWIRE DR
              CARROLLTON, GA 30119-4400 USA

The other option for printing on the wire is with a print wheel.
              http://www.gemgravure.com/coding-mar...int-wheels.asp
              Your print would be fixed to the legend on the wheel. The print would be solid.

Just some thoughts,
              Garry
              Garry,
              The first sample also carries the E75755 marking. I cropped the image for size - and lost that information.
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
                Yes but hopefully, the printer-based data would come directly from product spec docs -- not entered at runtime by operators.
                I've been in the packaging machinery business for 40+ years, and have always see it done this way. At the start of production, an operator has a document in hand, entering that day's data (lot number, date, etc.) by hand into the printer. You'd be surprised how much is not performed automatically.

It's like the old saying; you don't want to see how sausage is made... although, I have (and hot dogs!).
                Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Dice View Post

I've been in the packaging machinery business for 40+ years, and have always see it done this way. At the start of production, an operator has a document in hand, entering that day's data (lot number, date, etc.) by hand into the printer. You'd be surprised how much is not performed automatically.

It's like the old saying; you don't want to see how sausage is made... although, I have (and hot dogs!).
                  I see it too. I have been working toward networked data retrieval implementations here. I have a couple systems now.

Comment

Thanks for calling our attention to this. I spoke with the Product Manager who is looking into it further.
                    If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team at 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by bdehner View Post
                      Thanks for calling our attention to this. I spoke with the Product Manager who is looking into it further.
                      Thank you.

Comment

The Product Manager spoke with the vendor yesterday about the issue you found and the vendor released the attached statement. Thanks again for the post.
                        Attached Files
                        If you have an urgent issue, please contact AutomationDirect's Technical Support team at 1(800) 633-0405 or (770) 844-4200. Thank you

Comment

thumbs up, thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X