IDEM documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDEM documentation

I don't normally dive into safety equipment, so ELI5 (relevant XKCD) if you can.
    Is it normal to state that the NO or NC state of a switch is reliant on the actuator being present?

The datasheet indicates:
    (with actuator present)
    YL/GN pair is NO
    BK/WH is NC
    RD/BU is NC

Then it continues with "For all switches the NC Circuits are closed when the guard is closed and the actuator is present."
    To me this acts like a NO contact.

Awkward verbal gymnastics.

Originally posted by kewakl View Post
    I don't normally dive into safety equipment, so ELI5 (relevant XKCD) if you can.
    Is it normal to state that the NO or NC state of a switch is reliant on the actuator being present?

The datasheet indicates:
    (with actuator present)
    YL/GN pair is NO
    BK/WH is NC
    RD/BU is NC

Then it continues with "For all switches the NC Circuits are closed when the guard is closed and the actuator is present."
    To me this acts like a NO contact.

Awkward verbal gymnastics.
    I have found all safety devices use this convention. Confusing? Yes! But so is European CAD drawings when the right view is the left-hand side of a part.
    Why worry? If you've done the best you can, worrying won't make it any better

- Walt Disney

Comment

Hmmmm almost Safety-Legalese?

Comment

In safety ‘lingo’ this is sometimes referred to as the ‘armed’ condition, ready to be activated.
        The two N.C. contacts are typically wired to the two input circuits of a Safety Monitor relay. These input circuits require that both circuits are closed to turn on the output contacts.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks mpberni.
          That makes sense in a vaguely-specific of specifically-vague sort of way.

Comment

Working...
          X